New, with a '77 Newport

Thanks Javier!

Unfortunately I probably won't be back out there for a bit, its about 2 hours round trip to his place for me. I can guarantee it's not going anywhere, and would be extremely cheap, if not free. If you still need it the next time I head over, I'll send you a message before I go.

George

Welcome George! Congrats on the Newport.

You’ll find us very welcoming and usually helpful.

I know you just got here but.....

if you’re headed back for parts this weekend, I could sure use the Chrysler script emblem off the headlight door of that white New Yorker. I just painted mine and damned if I didn’t lose it somewhere.

Thanks and again, Welcome

Javier.

Thanks Javier!

Unfortunately I probably won't be back out there for a bit, its about 2 hours round trip to his place for me. I can guarantee it's not going anywhere, and would be extremely cheap, if not free. If you still need it the next time I head over, I'll send you a message before I go.

George

thanks George!

MYSTERY OF THE MISSING EMBLEM SOLVED!!!

I found it in the bag for the right rear door parts.

Thanks to all for your efforts and concern!!!

image.jpg

Glad you found it!

Update (finally)

Went to my buddies farm today to start getting ready to move the car down to my house in Chicago, so the real work can get started. We mounted the new 235/75 Nexen whitewalls. For an "off" brand, I really love these tires. Less than 300 bucks gets you a set shipped to your door, and they ride very nice, I've had them on my '75 Olds for over 10k and they still look and feel brand new. Highly recommended!

Pulled the car out of the barn, and after one pump of the pedal and a bump of the key it fired right off. Nice. Going back tomorrow with another friend and we'll be driving it back to the house. I have some days off this week so a massive deep cleaning is Mondays 1st order of business, this thing is filthy, dried up dirt and dust in every crevice and place you could think of, inside and out. I'm excited!

YfZGKD4.jpg

DXThIzC.jpg

0mM90vV.jpg

Interior has stood the test of time quite well, in my opinion. Still filthy though!

mF16JDm.jpg

otc2yu9.jpg

George

Welcome! That’s one gorgeous Newpie. I’ve had many more Fusies than Formals, but one of the latter was a ‘77 metallic red Newport 4 dr (hardtop as all were then) with 400, a 38k all original car found outside of Gettysburg PA. Oddly over the several years we had it the LB worked perfectly and did what it supposed to, increasing mpg and smooth performance. Not so with the ‘76 Gran Fury Brougham we previously had, a 60k low-ish mileage car. We ended up trading that one for a ‘77 GFB with regular carb no LB 360 that ran so well we drove it for 10 years. Not sure if perhaps any improvements over 1 years time made a difference.

We also had a ‘79 R body 318 Newport w/ LB 318 that performed fine for the 3 years we had it 2002-2005, mostly driven by our high-school aged son...ie: hard! So maybe give the LB a chance, I think the negative rep some give it may be somewhat overblown. I’ve also heard that replacement versions were improved considerably.

Speaking of R-bodies, wonder what the white one at the auction brought? I like them, they’re nice cars once the lockup TF is disconnected, but the frame-less door windows were a major design error imo and certain cost cutting was detrimental, like the crappy window regulator design. We had that ‘79 Newport, an ‘80 St Reege, and an ‘80 NYer. Under-appreciated cars now mostly being turned into cop-clones... boo to that and demo derbies!

Have fun an we’ll be following the adventures!
Happy Motoring from Roger in NY

Last edited:
BTW... LOVE that ‘75 98, I started the OCA Blue/Gray Chapter in 1984, and have had many Olds from 1936 to ‘77, including ‘74 and ‘76 98 Regencys and my current ‘69 Cutlass. I’ve never had a nicer riding car with more comfortable seats than those two 98s, including a mint ‘75 DeVille we circumnavigated the US in, we should have taken the 98! Your ‘75 is fabulous!
Happy Motoring from Roger in NY!

Thanks Roger! Appreciate the comments!

I agree a lot of the Lean Burn hate is probably overblown. I think a lot of lack of experience in the systems when they were new, combined with the confusion new technology always causes, makes for a bit of an unreserved reputation in some cases, not that some weren't just junk out of the gate. Add that to 40 (almost 50, yikes!) Years of heat, vibration and wear and it's really a wonder they still function, impressive really. I just love to pile the miles on in good weather, and would like to have (theoretically anyway) one less thing to have go bad, at night, 50 miles from nowhere, as those things always seem to do!

'69 has to be my favorite year, jealous! Also thank you, I love that Olds to death and that car will never go anywhere. Its just such a nice all around vehicle and from a trip to the corner or 1,000 miles away, it always brings a smile to my face, thanks again.

Today's update!

Went to my buddys farm around noon today, turned out to be a beautiful day, broken clouds and near 60, I'll take it. Went up with some buddys and rode with my friend in his '78 Town Car, nice ride. We grilled, worked on some stuff, swapped out tires and had a great time just hanging out. Did a little carb turning, and hit the road around 745 pm.

AHIsIB0.jpg

f7LPm4R.jpg

Stopped at a coin op car wash in Elkhorn Wis. to blast some of the dirt off of the car, tomorrow is real cleaning day, but I literally couldn't see anything out of the windows, and decided to just give it a quick rinse anyway.

0KbFxdp.jpg

Then we went and got some gas

fcFHhJn.jpg

Took US 12 to Hwy 50 over to I-94 then down the Tri State back to the city. Car drove great, no complaints. New tires make a huge difference!

eYxwI6O.jpg

j8qGkQV.jpg

At its temporary home (until it gets in the garage after it's all cleaned up)

ElLmxLg.jpg

Staring longingly at the Olds' comfortable garage spot

lo2MDGI.jpg

George

That baby blue Newport is a Beauty!
My ‘79 Newport had had a Mopar replacement LB added sometime before I got it and it worked faultlessly, as did the one our later ‘77 NP (400).

Was a 360 available on NPs in ‘77? A 360 was what was in our ‘77 GF, and with no LB. It drove great from when we got it at 47K ‘til we sold it at 185k due to advancing rust. Before the ‘77 we had had a ‘76 GF 400 with LB, and at the time, as you say, they had teething problems, so after a year with it I gave up, got the ‘77 GF and it was one of the best cars we’ve ever owned for over 10 years. I don’t know if any ‘77 NPs had a non-Lean Burn 400 (or 360, if available).

Some years later we got the ’79, mainly for our 18 yr old son as I’d retired and shared wife’s suv. After he was in college and had calmed down somewhat he told me how he’d do donuts in the HS parking lot with it, and how none of his friend’s Civics could do that lol.

That baby blue Newport is a Beauty!
My ‘79 Newport had had a Mopar replacement LB added sometime before I got it and it worked faultlessly, as did the one our later ‘77 NP (400).

Was a 360 available on NPs in ‘77? A 360 was what was in our ‘77 GF, and with no LB. It drove great from when we got it at 47K ‘til we sold it at 185k due to advancing rust. Before the ‘77 we had had a ‘76 GF 400 with LB, and at the time, as you say, they had teething problems, so after a year with it I gave up, got the ‘77 GF and it was one of the best cars we’ve ever owned for over 10 years. I don’t know if any ‘77 NPs had a non-Lean Burn 400 (or 360, if available).

Some years later we got the ’79, mainly for our 18 yr old son as I’d retired and shared wife’s suv. After he was in college and had calmed down somewhat he told me how he’d do donuts in the HS parking lot with it, and how none of his friend’s Civics could do that lol.
I am pretty sure a 360 was available on the Newport, as I have a 77 New Yorker and the 360 was an option and mandatory on California cars. I am hoping to do a donut with my 440 LB, but I haven't gotten a chance to try yet.
77newyorker440

Big update!

So I got out to the car at about 11 this AM, and worked until about 830 this evening. The results, in my opinion, were totally worth it. Feels like a different car.

Paint was dull oxidized, and just a mess. Little side by side here. Odd streaks and spotting all over, and lots of just chalky dead spots.

KkZHmjK.jpg

-Wet sanded with 2000/3000 (started with 1500 in some spots that were really rough)

-Used my Harbor Frieght DA, with a Lake Country Orange Pad, and Meguairs Ultimate Compound for my first pass.

-Lake Country White Pad and Meguairs 205 to go around again and finish off the correction.

-Lake country Black Pad with Meguairs M27 Ceramic Sealant for my last step

Still have all the chrome to do yet.

Pictures!
CN79vuM.jpg

VlYARv4.jpg

F1xxvSt.jpg

bAbmie8.jpg

GKYimeq.jpg

n8pdphY.jpg

aRd7D0u.jpg

RJBrojn.jpg

And the interior, still lots more work to.go, but I did shampoo and scrub the seats and carpet so far. Absolutely disgusting carpet, but it came back pretty well. Pulled the rear seat and found some mice evidence, but it all cleaned up OK. Smells a lot better!!!

Before

Y1Gprwy.jpg

After

4HlEQUb.jpg

Front was worse but no before pics sorry!

uW9yEtD.jpg

Door panels cleaned up pretty good. Still need a bit

OhBKsER.jpg

Seats are in great shape!

y3ErtQv.jpg

94LQJuk.jpg

George

Last edited:
Looks beautiful! Cleaned up quite nicely. I hope the rest of the cars from that auction get the love this one did.

Thanks guys!

The DA polisher makes it easier but it was still a lot to do. Can't say I didn't enjoy every minute though, it almost feels like the car got a second chance. I don't think a few more years of sitting would have been too kind to it.

Thanks again guys.

On the mechanical side, snugged up the Manifold to Y pipe bolts and that quieted down down leak I had, and hooked up the electric choke the correct way. Little things, but one step at a time. Have a big pile of parts ready to go, as the goal is to make it into a turn the key and go summer cruiser. I enjoy long trips in the old stuff, so I want to make sure it's up to snuff.

Cleaned up the trunk today, no rust under the matting so that was nice to see. Shot some fluid film down in the crevices anyways for good measure.

Half done,

eScAu9Y.jpg

And cleaned. Not perfect but smells better anyway, lol.

VpIpQQJ.jpg

Then I changed the oil. Last sticker was from 2010, yikes. Quality ford parts of course.

o5OcCke.jpg

bwI6xDl.jpg

Then went for a little evening drive to visit my grandma. She's 91, loves the car, so that was fun!

9rFlQMr.jpg

Got it looking and smelling pretty good inside too. A nice day

vbeOx3x.jpg

George

Last edited:
Tightened up the valve cover bolts, and stopped the oil hemorrhage today. Replaced the PCV, and gave the engine a quick clean.

AAbF9xZ.jpg

Then went for a little drive to get lunch
eeE7KKF.jpg

8ifMZ0u.jpg

L1ORmoz.jpg

kfYYgFW.jpg

George

Very well done young man, your car looks wonderful, put a few hundred miles on her and she'll be fine.

Happy motoring. Was in Chicago in November 2019. Beautiful view of Lake Michigan from the 23rd floor of the Chicago Hilton. Talking of classy old things, the Hilton is amazing.

Excellent job sir! And I’m sure very gratifying.

Those pictures by the water really give her a nautical and sporting look.

She is cleaning up very nicely.

you mentioned you had a bunch of parts to put on her..... what next?

Back