Newport, New Yorker body panels; interchangeable? Years?

daMoose52

Reaction score
First up: I am NOT terribly knowledgeable about the cars. But, I have a bit of a project.
I have an old 1969 Newport Custom that was my first vehicle, but was stored improperly and isn't in restorable shape itself. I am able to salvage a number of elements from her though, so the plan ahs been to take what I can from my car and use those to fix up another. Catch has been, landing another 69 Newport hard top 2-door that I could reach.
After hunting for a while, I have a 1970 Newport hard top 2-door lined up. In everything I can read up, the 69s and 70s are largely the same vehicle with what seem to be minor differences scattered throughout. But I got a good look at this one and felt at home :)
One element I saw different; on the front panels, the turning lights on the 69s are below the trim, while on the 70's they're above the trim. On the 70 potentially coming home, the driver's side had a good gash. In other hunts, I DID come across some panels for a 69 New Yorker; visually, from pics and looking at mine, they're the same.
Purists aside, is it possible to swap the 70's panels with the 69s, and are the New Yorker panels the same as the Newports? My understanding has been too that the New Yorker, Newport, and 300 are highly similar vehicles, differences being some minor details, trims, grills, etc. Are those body panels the same across the line?

Within a given model year, the three '69 Chrysler models CAN have many of the same exterior body panels. Key thing . . . "withing a given model year". As close as the '69 and '70 models might be in general appearance, there CAN be some minor, but significant, differences. Other than just the type and style of body moldings and such. On the interior, much more commonality with other model years and trim items, by observation.

So, look very closely at the minor body contours and such, then compare to what you have. Hate to perceive something to be the same only to find out it is not an exact match when you try to install it.

Just some observations,
CBODY67

Within a given model year, the three '69 Chrysler models CAN have many of the same exterior body panels. Key thing . . . "withing a given model year". As close as the '69 and '70 models might be in general appearance, there CAN be some minor, but significant, differences. Other than just the type and style of body moldings and such. On the interior, much more commonality with other model years and trim items, by observation.

So, look very closely at the minor body contours and such, then compare to what you have. Hate to perceive something to be the same only to find out it is not an exact match when you try to install it.

Just some observations,
CBODY67
I found this on the forums here (69-71 chrysler newport) so, off the cuff I'm feeling a lot more confident.
After the 70 comes home I'll do some deeper digging to ensure the contours match up before going too deep on the replacement panels but it would seem I'm in the clear.

’69 to ’71 body panels are supposed to be the same across the line. The contours are the same in any 2d coupe.
It’s the placement and size of cornering lights which differ; keep an eye on those.
The ’69 has different rear bumper, trunk lid and end caps (at the rear corners) than the ’70 and ’71, which are identical btw them.

’69 to ’71 body panels are supposed to be the same across the line. The contours are the same in any 2d coupe.
It’s the placement and size of cornering lights which differ; keep an eye on those.
The ’69 has different rear bumper, trunk lid and end caps (at the rear corners) than the ’70 and ’71, which are identical btw them.
Fantastic rundown/notes, thank you! Exactly the kind of info I was hoping for :)

Back