New to C Bodies only

dodger

Reaction score
Been a member of "A Bodies Only" for a decade, and last year purchased a '59 Coronet, that I am finally able to work on due to finishing my '67 Dart Convertible. I picked up the vehicle in Pfluggerville Texas at the end of last Summer, and we did get to enjoy it for a while, until I decided to do some work on it :)! It has had a little work done to it prior to purchasing it last year. One of the previous owners switched over the front drums to disc brakes. Although having the disc brakes are nice, they are from a Monte Carlo setup, so I am assuming the car will be a little slower using GM parts on it. Someone also installed a pusher electric fan on the car, while leaving the motor-driven fan as well??? Go figure.

Anyway, the transmission wasn't shifting too well a couple of months into purchasing it, so I decided to pull the tranny pan and see what was going on, and to say the tranny fluid was in bad shape would have been an understatement. Honestly I should've replaced the same fluid, and buttoned it up and prayed, but no I went forward with the fluid swap, and of course the transmission did not like that. It proceeded to give me the finger about two weeks after the swap of fluid. So if anyone lives in the Dallas area, and knows a good shop that works on these old trannies, I am all ears. It has a push-button Torque-flight in it. It as well has the 326 Poly motor, and seems like it has been moderately well taken car of aesthetically, but mechanically they haven't done much over the years to keep it running well.

It is a damn fun car to drive, and it for sure gets a lot of looks and honks. It sleeps 6 comfortably, and I may need to get a bigger shop just to fit the car, but looking forward to getting it back on the road soon.

I am looking forward to getting some good feedback on projects for the car from y'all, but I am looking to keep it mostly stock with a few minor upgrades to the interior.

1959 Coronet.jpg

Fantastic car. Love it. Good luck with the trans work, a service manual can take you far on self repairs.
There are a few options for disc brake kits. I found these just doing a search, I have no dealings with these companies so maybe some research.
AAJ BRAKES Disc Brake Conversion Kits (503) 890-1469 I have talked with a 62 Imperial owner that used AAJ brakes and he was very happy with the results.

Fantastic car. Love it. Good luck with the trans work, a service manual can take you far on self repairs.
There are a few options for disc brake kits. I found these just doing a search, I have no dealings with these companies so maybe some research.
[/URL]
AAJ BRAKES Disc Brake Conversion Kits (503) 890-1469 I have talked with a 62 Imperial owner that used AAJ brakes and he was very happy with the results.
Thanks for the reply. Not sure I am going to delve into the transmission. I have spent my life avoiding tearing those apart. Who knows though, with less and less people willing to wrench on the old ones. I'll tear almost anything else apart, but transmissions have been the one thing I've stayed away from.

As far as the brakes go, they actually work pretty decent. Was just sh%$ talking about utilizing GM parts. Now that my '67 is getting close to completion, it will be good to tear this apart, and restoring it to its glory day. My wife does love driving this car, although she looks like a midget at 5'1" tall in the drivers seat.

Back