No factory AC

74monacoHT

Reaction score
My 74 monaco doesn't have AC.

Strangely(?) there is a blank where a vent would be on the pass side of dash. Talk about cost cutting...

I would like to add AC. Integrating it into the existing ductwork would be nice if possible, as I'm not a huge fan of the unit hanging under the dash.

What sort of options might I have for this? I realize this is not an easy undertaking.

The best thing would be to acquire a parts car with factory a/c and swap everything over to your car. One issue is that whatever holes/cutouts in the cowl on your car will have to be made to match what's on the factory a/c car . . . which can be an issue for some. In other words, "some modifications/fabrications required."

Once you have a suitable parts car, THEN you'll also need to get new heater core and evap core for the factory a/c application.

OR . . . find a different car which already has factory a/c in it. Then rebuild the system as necessary.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

A parts car is ideal. However, very hard to come by not many Formals out there. If you do go looking, you'll have to find one with the same engine. As far as I can tell none of the brackets and hoses interchange from one to another. If you have a 400 you'll have to find one with a 400.

If you try to put in A/C from another Formal, you'll curse yourself for even thinking this is viable.
Oh my, just wait and see what's under the dash...

Unless you are married to using all factory parts, I would recommend a Vintage Air aftermarket kit. All new parts, easier installation and can most likely use the factory locations for outlets. Plus a lot cheaper compared to getting old parts to work correctly.

If you try to put in A/C from another Formal, you'll curse yourself for even thinking this is viable.

I still cringe at the thought of the pic you had of the entire dash being blown apart.

You make it sound like there's monsters lurking there but it's just some wiring and a heater box :poke:

You make it sound like there's monsters lurking there but it's just some wiring and a heater box :poke:
Certainly, things would be much easier with the entire instrument panel removed to expose all of the hvac items. BUT if you are laying on your back, with the sill plate in an uncomfortable place, even with the front seat removed, not quite so much fun. Everybody has their own sensitivities on these things, though.

In my 20s, I could run the front seat all the way back, hang my knees over the seat back with my shoulders and head in the footwell on the driver's side. That was THEN and NOT now. Leaner and more flexible, back then.

Over the years, too, many of us have seen some "easy" projects which turned into very disassembled cars going to the scrap yard rather than to get finished. Even from owners who "wanted a challenge".

Years ago, I knew of a Mopar club member who was going to install factory a/c on an E-body he had. Got a parts car and all of that. But the differences in how the cowl was "cut" was significantly different and required unsuspected cuts and fabrication to get the deal done. Never had considered how different those cowl panels would be, but it didn't surprise me that they were, either. Nothing that was not doable by a motivated person, but not something an "Average Joe" might consider, by observation. Of course, all of that stuff can happen in about 15 minutes on TV!

Take care,
CBODY67

I loathe fighting with/under dashboards, so I get it. I am inclined to go with a "box under the dash" now that I've thought about this some more lol. I can weld, I can cut, but the pain of dismantling a dash is something I've avoided even when younger

Until the 1965 model year, full-size Ford products had under-dash a/c as their "factory-installed" a/c option. The evaporators were quite stylish and probably had blower motors which were quieter than the normal hang-down a/c of those times, I suspect. I also suspect their evaporator size might be larger than current under-dash units might offer currently. They all operated on a cycling-clutch system.

Until the 1965 model year, full-size Ford products had under-dash a/c as their "factory-installed" a/c option. The evaporators were quite stylish and probably had blower motors which were quieter than the normal hang-down a/c of those times, I suspect. I also suspect their evaporator size might be larger than current under-dash units might offer currently. They all operated on a cycling-clutch system.
For Mustangs, Falcons, Comets and Fairlanes, the under dash air continued to 1966.
I installed a 66 system in my 65 Mustang and it works well.

If you would like to see in person all the factory AC stuff, I live in Bedford Co. too. Your avatar pic doesn't have a tag on it, I can drive to you if you want. Or you can come by the house and take photos too.

Back