Non AC vacuum switch switched with AC unit?

stevemorgas

Reaction score
Hi All, has anyone converted a AC vacuum switch into a non AC vacuum switch car? mine currently has a damaged vacuum switch. its a non AC unit and the part numbers that I can find are 2290089 or 2096083.

Looking at the five button AC units they look very similar, mine only has hi fan and low fan options, defrost and air, just thought i would check to see if anyone else has done this successfully before. My car is a 1964 dodge 880 custom wagon.

Any advise greatly accepted.

Steve NZ

Hi Steve, Paul here from Sydney ( ex -Christchurch ) nice choice as I also own the same custom wagon. Brought it back in 2018 and its been a slow resto with some serious hidden rust issues but we are getting there. My vacuum switch ( non a/c ) has some of the rear lugs broken off,and I know a replacment is in the $ 300-400 range. Ive been trying to purchase a used one in the hope of making one good one. No luck yet. I had a under-dash unit (used ) and a R2 reconed air compressor and a box of pulleys and brackets thrown in the wagon in the USA as I was going for original. Now everyone is saying go light and put a sandom unit with a new Old Air unit. Are you going to install a A/C unit . I hope you do not mine my ramblings, I no this doses not help with your problem but I am keen to here of your 880.
Cheers Paul.

Hi Steve, Paul here from Sydney ( ex -Christchurch ) nice choice as I also own the same custom wagon. Brought it back in 2018 and its been a slow resto with some serious hidden rust issues but we are getting there. My vacuum switch ( non a/c ) has some of the rear lugs broken off,and I know a replacment is in the $ 300-400 range. Ive been trying to purchase a used one in the hope of making one good one. No luck yet. I had a under-dash unit (used ) and a R2 reconed air compressor and a box of pulleys and brackets thrown in the wagon in the USA as I was going for original. Now everyone is saying go light and put a sandom unit with a new Old Air unit. Are you going to install a A/C unit . I hope you do not mine my ramblings, I no this doses not help with your problem but I am keen to here of your 880.
Cheers Paul.
Hi Paul, our wagn is coming along nicely and I will be putting the body back together during my Christmas break, I'm not going to put air conditioning into this car and I picked up a AC control switch from a mate here for a bottle of beer so I'm going to see what it takes to get one unit out of the two? hopefully this car will be rolling on the road again in the next couple of months.

Back