No power to start - what to look at next???

Usually there's just one smaller (#10?) wire going to the fender. There are negative cables that have the second wire with a crimp connector so you can splice the old cable on. If you feel you need the wire going back to the firewall, connect it at the fender ground connection.

This is very common and often the cable is sold by length along with application.

View attachment 379748
Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. Do you think I would find this in the aisle of my local store or need to go to a counter person? I like your suggestion for the firewall ground as I am trying to tidy up the engine compartment.

Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. Do you think I would find this in the aisle of my local store or need to go to a counter person? I like your suggestion for the firewall ground as I am trying to tidy up the engine compartment.
Probably ask the counter person, but measure the length of your old one.

Got an Advance Auto near you? You can order online and pick it up.

If I walked into a parts store right now, I wouldn't have a clue what to call them... But if I walked into the local NAPA and told them "red and green thingies that go under the battery terminal" they would know.
Useless info of the day: "Felt Battery Terminal Protectors." (I used to work at VatoZone.)

So last saturday I had gotten my car back from my mechanic (he has had it for weeks not getting to an exhaust leak). sounded great in the morning, had to come back after hours to pick it up. she started right up, sounded great ran great for two blocks. Made a left hand turn and all of a sudden she started sputtering and spitting. Actually stalled out. Started back up and I was fortunate enough to get her back to my mechanics where she stalled out again and we haven't been able to get her started yet. He is saying that it is electrical and that we are only getting 8 volts (I'm not sure at what point). My first suggestion was ballast but he said that seemed fine. I never had any trouble with electrical issues until this year and nothing has been changed or updated over the year. Any suggestions on what to zero in on? He says he is eliminating issues which I understand you have to do but I just want to get my car back at this point, running of course. Any suggestions for the electrical problems to keep her running? She is turning over no problem. I have an ECU ignition that was installed 3 years ago so don't know if that could be a problem.

So finally supposed to get my car back this weekend from the mechanic. I believe he said that there was a bad connection at the ballast resistor but I will get the full rundown tomorrow. Would like to give a thanks to fellow member James Romano for stopping by to look at the car and get his assessment. I'm with you that there had to be a fuel issue as well.
So question - since the car is 50 years old would you change out\secure some of the old electrical units such as doing a bulkhead bypass for the ignition related wires, update neutral safety switch, starter relay, ect before anything happens or just go with if it ain't broke don't fix it? I plan to clean\neaten up wiring in the engine compartment so why not do it all at once. Thoughts?

So finally supposed to get my car back this weekend from the mechanic. I believe he said that there was a bad connection at the ballast resistor but I will get the full rundown tomorrow. Would like to give a thanks to fellow member James Romano for stopping by to look at the car and get his assessment. I'm with you that there had to be a fuel issue as well.
So question - since the car is 50 years old would you change out\secure some of the old electrical units such as doing a bulkhead bypass for the ignition related wires, update neutral safety switch, starter relay, ect before anything happens or just go with if it ain't broke don't fix it? I plan to clean\neaten up wiring in the engine compartment so why not do it all at once. Thoughts?

I prefer not to bypass anything. Rather replace with correct reproduction and NOS.OR great lightly used stuff.

Back