For Sale Not mine Hurst 2dr in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though Sauterne Mist was the used paint, why does the fender tag have FT6, which stands for Deep Bronze Metallic?

That's the interior color code, shown on the BSheet as the "UDF Code", which stands for Upper Door Frame. FT6 for the interior means "Tan", which is what the Hursts have. This applies to the dash metal, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, I have noted various sources of sauterne mist metallic on line, but I was specifically asking which option you used for your car since it seems to look very correct to my eyes on my computer, and you seem to strain to achieve what is correct, as do I. Thanks.

You give me too much credit. The PO (second owner) who restored it in 1999 is responsible for the correctness (he was a 300 fan, had several models/years, member of the 300 Club, etc). I get credit for buying a correctly painted car at Mecum Indy last May. My work since then has been repairing, refreshing, and "correctifying" mechanical, electrical and some trim items that had really gotten away from the elderly PO gentleman during his 20 year ownership. Thus the posts you've seen of mine about fixing power windows, rebuilding the AC, rebuilding power seats, correct exhaust downturns, rebuilding power steering, rebuilt the instrument panel and switchgear, and a complete redo the underhood "back to 1970".

Here's the car a few minutes before I became the owner:
IMG_2786.JPG

And here's the moment I became the owner: :wideyed:
IMG_2796.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, all the "Hurst Stripes" were done by Hurst. The car left the factory in nothing but bare Spinnaker.

What I've wondered about is the yellow/orange that was sloshed over the red that was already in the grille. Having just done mine, and spending many, many, many, many hours masking the damn thing before laying on new paint, I had plenty of time to ponder how the Hurst people did it quickly, possibly even by a skilled hand with a paintbrush, thus eliminating masking. But every one I've seen looks sprayed. Anyone have knowledge on this? (i should put this under a separate post!)

Trace: Yes I agree with all you said regarding the painting yellow / gold over the factory red on the grills. I had the same experience about 16 years ago, when I did the same masking and paint detailing process on a Hurst grill. I was tempted to try to replicate the quick hand brush slosh job on the grills as was done by Hurst by a fairly skilled painter, but I just could not bring myself to do such a fast and sloppy job. On original unrestored Hurst cars you can always see bits of the original red under the Hurst Gold / yellow grill bars.

It's a whole other story, but My dad owned five different Hurst 300's that I know of and there may have been another when I was away at college in the 1980's.

Trace: Yes I agree with all you said regarding the painting yellow / gold over the factory red on the grills. I had the same experience about 16 years ago, when I did the same masking and paint detailing process on a Hurst grill. I was tempted to try to replicate the quick hand brush slosh job on the grills as was done by Hurst by a fairly skilled painter, but I just could not bring myself to do such a fast and sloppy job. On original unrestored Hurst cars you can always see bits of the original red under the Hurst Gold / yellow grill bars.

It's a whole other story, but My dad owned five different Hurst 300's that I know of and there may have been another when I was away at college in the 1980's.

Five Hursts? Wow! But that means you must be a pretty knowledgeable guy regarding the oddities of these "handmade" cars.

Yes, I see the red in every grille I've inspected and photographed. So you're somewhat sure that a skilled brushman did yellow mod to the grille? It looks sprayed...I guess it could have been airbrushed by a very skilled painter with minimal masking. Yes? Thank you for chiming in with your observations.

Some red can be seen in these pics I took of "for sale" stuff in Carlisle. And there's still some tiny bit of red on my restored grille, where it slopped behind the forward surfaces. I left it and the yellow where it was and only reworked the front. The bottom pic is a closeup of MY grille before restoration.
IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

Trace grille 3.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back