For Sale Not mine Hurst 2dr in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Addition
In Los Angeles Craigslist but not sure where Danuba is........

00j0j_dwFgEW9KLpp_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_2NLCthVacBK_1200x900.jpg

00J0J_lv0nT7YOEFZ_1200x900.jpg

00707_gRAqDiznkAB_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_1KvqrZcGGq2_1200x900.jpg

00T0T_6Vt8d96G8k1_1200x900.jpg

00707_4wJEveBP0St_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_7TvGBJDhIWz_1200x900.jpg

00B0B_Fbf7W7aKDL_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_eFVRRQDpWmG_1200x900.jpg

@Trace 300 Hurst

This one has turn downs.

Of course, at some point in the past 48 years it may have originally had the "N42" tips, instead of the "N41" dual exhaust/no tips option [which is what mine is per my broadcast sheet].

That's a damn tragic looking Hurst.

And that makes EIGHT Hursts on the market that I am aware of. Sheeesh!

Last edited:
@Trace 300 Hurst

This one has turn downs.

If it was sold new in California it probably had the turn downs instead of the tips to comply with California noise regulations. No muscle car from around 1970 & later could be sold in CA with exhaust tips. It probably has some extra emissions items as well.

It probably has some extra emissions items as well.

Well yeah, sorta. It would have had the Evaporative Emissions package that Cali mandated, in addition to the Cleaner Air System. There were no other extra emissions items beyond that.

The interesting thing about that car besides the fact that it has a console is that it is a Stripe Delete car, code V78. The car was repainted it appears, but maybe the painter just copied what he saw - the gold inserts, but without the stripes surrounding them. Would that make it especially special though - to some it might?

Since it ran well the seller claimed (showed 80K miles) and the trans was rebuilt and the body, except for a small portion or the lower roof around the back window) seemed pretty free of rust - it seemed like a good buy at the asking price of $7,800. I thought about going for it, but then I have to focus on what I have, not get any more projects than I already have. And I already have a Hurst project as it is.................

Last edited:
The interesting thing about that car besides the fact that it has a console is that it is a Stripe Delete car, code V78. The car was repainted it appears, but maybe the painter just copied what he saw - the gold inserts, but without the stripes surrounding them. Would that make it especially special though - to some it might? Since it ran well the seller claimed (showed 80K miles) and the trans was rebuilt and the body, except for a small portion or the lower roof around the back window) seemed pretty free of rust - it seemed like a good buy at the asking price of $7,800. I thought about going for it, but then I have to focus on what I have, not get any more projects than I already have. And I already have a Hurst project as it is.................

all 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst have the code V78 (stripe delete) on the fender tag as the stripes haven't been installed at Chrysler

all 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst have the code V78 (stripe delete) on the fender tag as the stripes haven't been installed at Chrysler

Yeah, all the "Hurst Stripes" were done by Hurst. The car left the factory in nothing but bare Spinnaker.

What I've wondered about is the yellow/orange that was sloshed over the red that was already in the grille. Having just done mine, and spending many, many, many, many hours masking the damn thing before laying on new paint, I had plenty of time to ponder how the Hurst people did it quickly, possibly even by a skilled hand with a paintbrush, thus eliminating masking. But every one I've seen looks sprayed. Anyone have knowledge on this? (i should put this under a separate post!)

BEFORE
Trace grille 3.JPG

DURING AND AFTER

IMG_1375.JPG
VOSP6199.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG
YCLR2345.JPG

Spectacular!!!
Why thank you, sir!

I spent the better part of a year trying to figure out what the correct color was...nobody knew. I took pictures and downloaded pics of every Hurst I could find.....nothing definitive, always faded and yellowed, or in one case incorrectly redone in the "gold" of the hood.

My search FINALLY ended when I found this rare, hard to find paint:
IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4361.JPG

:rofl:
But it dead-matches the yellow/orange of the stripe so I called it goodnuff.

I would not be surprised at all that Hurst used School Bus Yellow.
The Mopar "999" exterior orange used years ago is actually "Omaha Orange", a standard industrial color.

I would not be surprised at all that Hurst used School Bus Yellow.
The Mopar "999" exterior orange used years ago is actually "Omaha Orange", a standard industrial color.

Well, being as Hurst "stole" Caddy's Sauterne Mist for the goldish paint (it's not Chrysler's 1970 Satin Tan, as some people think), it would be no surprise that they "stole" other standard colors to make the Hurst package. They weren't in the business of conjuring up their own colors...they were trying to crank out cars an make a buck.

I just looked up School Bus, and it became a standardized color in 1939. School bus yellow - Wikipedia The webpage doesn't say anything about Hurst grilles, but it DOES talk about Hertz, and the Yellow Cab Company that he founded, and the rental car company that still uses the color in their logo. Interesting.

Here's a car with gold in the grille, and incorrect stripes bordering the Sauterne paint. Likely a decades-old restoration.
IMG_2939.JPG

If it was sold new in California it probably had the turn downs instead of the tips to comply with California noise regulations. No muscle car from around 1970 & later could be sold in CA with exhaust tips. It probably has some extra emissions items as well.
Yes, a gas tank with four vent tubes instead of two.

Just curious how you achieved the proper GM sauterne mist for the Hurst painted sections of the car? Is there a current code that works for one of the major paint brands or ???
A friend of mine was asking me about this issue.
Can you tell I am not so into Hursts that I had not noticed that V78 is on all the tags? Even on my own! Geesh!

Well, being as Hurst "stole" Caddy's Sauterne Mist for the goldish paint (it's not Chrysler's 1970 Satin Tan, as some people think), it would be no surprise that they "stole" other standard colors to make the Hurst package. They weren't in the business of conjuring up their own colors...they were trying to crank out cars an make a buck.

Even though Sauterne Mist was the used paint, why does the fender tag have FT6, which stands for Deep Bronze Metallic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back