Not sure about this. Shackles??

Guess you're one of us then.

Gooble gobble... gooble gobble

One of us, one of us.

freaks-gooble-gobble-595x347.png

Hey guys, I was thinking last night and in everyone's opinion with it being the way it is now, would it be an issue if I left them this way? The reason is I like the cars stance. I checked it out really good and nothing is hitting. If I flip them over and install them the way they should be,...how many inches will it raise the car in the rear? What do you guys think?

I looked at it this morning and sure enough all the bolts that hold the mount in place have been replaced. It will be going to the shop next weekend to have them flipped and at the same time the 3" tailpipes are coming out and we are installing 3" turndowns. I'm so glad we saw this and it will be corrected. Should gain a few inches back there and make the car look meaner! Eventually, this is what I want done to the rear to get those size tires under it. Just have to find someone to do the labor for beer! LMAO!!! I friggin love the way this car looks.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey guys, I was thinking last night and in everyone's opinion with it being the way it is now, would it be an issue if I left them this way? The reason is I like the cars stance. I checked it out really good and nothing is hitting. If I flip them over and install them the way they should be,...how many inches will it raise the car in the rear? What do you guys think?

I might not be recalling correctly, but when my shackle was upside like that, when I corrected it, the car actually came down lower - not higher. It seems like it would go lower in just thinking about it, too.

You're thinking backward. By pulling the spring down it will raise the body. More pressure.

You're thinking backward. By pulling the spring down it will raise the body. More pressure.

I disagree, since your rear mounting point has moved upward, the back end goes with it, and reversing will lower the mounting point, thus lowering the back end. One way to know for sure, do it and report back.

I will do that, but if you look at the picture I posted,..the spring is up next to the body. In my opinion when I move the spring to its original position and the shackles are moved to there normal position there is going to be more pressure on the spring making it want to push up or hold up more weight. Just like when I was younger most of us put longer shackles on our cars to lift the rear end higher for that jacked up look.

Last edited:
Yes...you can also reverse the eyes of the springs, so instead of looping under, they will loop up and over dropping the car down another 1.5". I personally wouldn't roll with the shackles like that, just drop $35 and get lowering blocks.

OK, got it. I'll put a rubber band around my head and snap out of it.

The pressure?

The weight loading on the spring will not change, one end of the spring is fixed an the other floating (the shackle).
The only thing that changes is the relative position of the axle so that alone will raise the car, probably by half the amount of the difference in the forward spring bushing (maybe less as the axle is not in the middle of the spring).

Alan

My lord! I know they are upside down. I will be putting everything back to factory. I mentioned "pressure" because when the leaf spring is pulled down where it's supposed to be it will in turn apply more upward pressure on the spring. Maybe I should have said load. The more you pull down a leaf spring the more upward pressure it will have. If you take the rear leaf spring out of the shackles and pull down the spring with your hand it will get harder and harder the more you pull down. It's that simple.

vdk2010, thank you posting the layout.

Back