Not sure I have the right power steering pump, 68 newport

OK, the easiest way to determine conclusively that the pump is 5-1/8" is to look at the end of the shaft, if it's hex then that's what you have. I can remember 3 of the 68 Chryslers I used to own had that pump as well as my 67 Fury. If they put others in with big blocks I can't comment. Guess they are in fact TRW, not Federal?

Along with the bolt kit and pulley. You can use your old belt. You will have to source a new ps hose from 69 and up 440 and a new threaded nipple for a steering gear (at your local hydraulic shop for a few dollars)

Well I thought I could stay right around a hundred bucks but adding new pump, bracket, cap, line, and a few other things I think I'm about to double my budget. I literally just spent a mint last week getting the engine rebuilt. I think full replacement will have to wait. And someone tried to steal it from the shop while it was getting worked on and have more damage to fix. The pump works fine, Just leaks. Think I might just get a new seal for it and a new hose. And this will be a next winter project. Looks like it is leaking on the front bottom left. I didn't see any markings anywhere to see a brand. I'm way over budget on the car but I'm addicted. Getting a new windshield next week. But long story short I think ill just refresh this pump for now. But now, confirming the right parts to buy.....

I want to order up the seal replacement kit today. Previous response said look at the end of the shaft. Where is the end of the shaft to confirm?

In the center of the pulley you will find the only visible end to the pump shaft, at least until you have removed the reservoir.

Your choices are;
flat end no hole
Slot in end of shaft
Hex in end of shaft.

View attachment 369678

24C70F58-0C1B-4B23-B8AE-088BBCA00F3B.png

I have a '68 300. Starting my pump rebuild now. Mine is a TRW Large pump w/ the hex. I have just torn it apart. Still need to get the pulley off and order the seal kit. It's hard to figure out what seal kit is correct, but this may be it at Rock.
SUNSONG 8401016 Info
w/ Chrysler Pump (Internal Hex Shaft)
1968 CHRYSLER 300 7.2L 440cid V8 Power Steering Pump Seal Kit | RockAuto

View attachment 369706

View attachment 369707

View attachment 369708
That kit will work, I'm sure there are others. For quick & easy original poster can just replace reservoir seals, believe there's a small seal at the bolt & the big o-ring. The 68 Chrysler/Imp service manual has great instructions on how to rebuild, that's what I used years ago. Ideally you will need a press to put the pulley back on.

Is the seal separate from the reservoir? As in would it be the same seal kit regardless if I kept this reservoir or went back to the original?

Reservoir seal is just a 5-1/8 inch o-ring that fits in a groove in cast iron body. It doesn't care what year reservoir you use, even your old POS one.:lol: BTW that's the one that usually leaks 1st, then the shaft seal.

The seal included in the kit is for the shaft, so that will be the same. The O rings included in the kit, seal the reservoir to the pump. All one kit. Don't know how a different reservoir would work.

This is the pump I rebuilt 22 years ago, it hasn't leaked a drop since. I don't buy that the Saginaw pump is better, these are super rugged & last a really long time.
PS pump.JPG

Did you just do the seal and o ring or the bearing too?

By the way, that engine is much too clean for 22 years out.

Did you just do the seal and o ring or the bearing too?

By the way, that engine is much too clean for 22 years out.
I did take the thing completely apart & replaced all the seals. Scrubbed everything sparkly clean, there was negligible wear including bearings so just put back together. There was a metal screen on the return line tube, mine had minimal crud. If you don't want it to leak & yours looks good & clean, just changing the shaft seal & external o-rings should be good enough. I used an ordinary gear puller to get the pulley off, nothing special.

I did pull the motor / tranny about 12 years ago just to touch up the paint a bit but did nothing with the PS pump.

Back