Notes on the cowl drains

66furys

Reaction score
Note sure if this has been available here, but just wanted to add if not....have not found it on searches yet. The one confusing thing for me to date, is that I cant find how there are layers on the firewall to funnel water from the cowl areas up top, down even to the center flap hole, nor all the way down to the bottom of the fender region near the rockers. There must be either layers or a real funnel on the firewall that I have not found, either inside or out. Obviously more work to be done, and of course my car is not apart as in some of these photos on this page. I will soon remove the cowl grill and get out a vac extension to start, then add some probing and air pressure to see if things can be cleaned. Maybe even an old dog can learn.
1962 to 1965 Mopar Rust Issues

And I wanted to install carpet after all the metal repairs, and sound isolation mats are almost done. No, not today, or tomorrow. I wanted to run water into the cowl area, and look for leaks, before carpet. So, first pulled the cowl and ran stuff thru the center drain to the firewall opening....not bad. Have been working to clean the leaves and debris out of the vent areas behind the side vent doors..... But, when we ran water, there were some small leaks below the vent door frames.....so, pull some more apart. And, at this point, I can assure you that you will want to pull those door frames....about six screws and the cables. Because, once out of the way, you can remove much more than you can thru the doors. And, you can then check for holes and clean and paint the interior. This is where the outer cowls drain, and then exit the small holes below the fender and door frame. I have at least one drilled small hole in the wall below my door frame that will be filled....water coming in when hosing things down from above. Here is hoping that I can try to install rather than disassemble anything else on this carpet and floor job.

Back