Now THAT'S some corrosion.

This brine solution that municipalities around here spray on the roads before a snow storm.
The brine is okay if it has been tested but that is only recently all the years of the acid laden stuff has taken its toll. The liquid calcium chlorate is very corrosive especially aluminum and brass, metals that normally have good corrosion resistance.

So it caused the rad to rot?
I'm sure it didn't help. Lots of things rotted out on that car over the years. When I told my friend who sold it to me that I was putting a radiator and a gas tank in it, he was surprised. He said, "That thing is going to be a rust skeleton!", meaning the remainder of the car will rust away around the drive train. That will likely be its fate. Here is a photo of the gas tank I replaced. Notice it is weeping fuel.

12189952_1067654263253485_8734565473137815633_n.jpg

I'm sure it didn't help. Lots of things rotted out on that car over the years. When I told my friend who sold it to me that I was putting a radiator and a gas tank in it, he was surprised. He said, "That thing is going to be a rust skeleton!", meaning the remainder of the car will rust away around the drive train. That will likely be its fate. Here is a photo of the gas tank I replaced. Notice it is weeping fuel.

Bummer man. Maybe it's best to let it go on it's way now ?

sorry celticwarloc

What was unusual about it? Perhaps we should make the Stan's vette odyssey a separate thread :)
It was a barebones stickshift zero options in basic white.
It's impossible to find one. Has to be ordered if you want it that way and you wait, and you wait, and you wait... GM just will not build them that way and no dealer will order them that way.
A Corvette race shop had a customer who wanted it exactly that way to start his build. This is how it ended up.

PicsArt_06-26-03.03.40.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. I knew you had one but didn't realize three. The 63-67 is probably my fav body style, followed by the 58-62s

A buddy of mine called me up one day and said come look at my driveway. I showed up and it was a 65 396 4 speed, blue, side pipes aluminum slots and flairs. A friend of his left it to him care for a few months. What a blast. Later on a neighbor, out of work (Ford layoff) went and got a job selling cars. He showed up with a L88 427 69 Vette. A trade in. I got to spend a few moments in that one. It spun a bearing the next day and was wholesaled for something like 6k.(Mid 80's)

My brother bought a 69. I didn't know anything about them at the time, but it was a mess. A Later hood that didn't have the cowl lift up, a 71 rear clip with square exhaust tips, silver interior, no pop out rear window, but it was $3500, like in 1986. We paraded that mongrel around like a captured war criminal. :)

Or Stan's memoirs. Pretty interesting life so far.

I think this forum is a largely just a collection of his memoirs haha

with a smattering from the rest of us and the odd 71 SF GT resto with a few disc brake installations and what's this threads :)

Were you thinking of racing it too? Sorry for so many questions but very interesting
I did some Test and Tunes at the Bradenton Drag track after I did some basic mods on it. Dyno'd 417 at the rear wheels.

Perhaps we should make the Stan's vette odyssey a separate thread
I think not. I bought the Vette. I sold the Vette. Twice. That's all there is.

I have a Merc Sable with the 3.0 iron engine. The coolant is rust colored and the degas bottle is too. Should I be worried? Doesn't leak or any any issue at present
Nah... every single one of them is like that... there was a campaign back in the late 90s while they tried to reduce cavitation and they had us neutralize the block with some truly nasty chemical treatment... we would replace the degas bottles that were stained and they would stain again in a year... I have seen lots of used cars in the past that they replaced the coolant and degas bottle just to hide the issue before the sale... the cars seem to have held up well and 3.0 2v isn't sexy, but has a good reliability record. I don't have any science to back it up, but the dexcool and similar products also seemed hard on plastics used...

Bummer man. Maybe it's best to let it go on it's way now ?
I don't think so. It's not through yet. This car has a strong attachment to its own life. Besides.....it has a new radiator and a new gas tank. It owes me a few bucks. Outside of the peripheral components, the car actually doesn't look too bad overall. The body itself looks pretty decent, actually. It has about 280,000 on it now, and I'd like to see if it can get to 300K. Also, my friend is borrowing it until we finish the cylinder head on his car, so it will be in service for a bit longer.

I think this forum is a largely just a collection of his memoirs haha

with a smattering from the rest of us and the odd 71 SF GT resto with a few disc brake installations and what's this threads :)

Doh! Now that you say that, I think your right.

91 Vette and 86 Vette. The 86 got sold quickly, long story, but I made a little money. I had the 91 for 10 years and I miss that one. I would still have it if Mrs. Big John could get in and out of it.

But back to the topic.... I've had a bunch of cars with radiators like that. The road salt they use in abundance here kills them. I had one car that when I pulled the rad out, it actually fell apart in my hands... Still held water though.

Genius to settle and bankrupt at the same time... I bet an accountant/lawyer got a nice bonus for that move.

I have never trusted the stuff, but if you want to change over to a different coolant, you need to thoroughly flush the system first. I drain everything I can, run it on distilled water and drain again a couple times. Good old fashioned "kill the neighbors dog" coolant for me (dog lovers can substitute cat, squirrels, children at will).
Regular change intervals also means a lot. If you don't all of the coolant's can turn acidic and cause grief. Dexcool has its biggest issues from cavitation and when mixed with air gets really bad, ford had an issue like that in their 3.0 taurus from 96 until the end of production... rust stained degas bottles and rusted freeze plugs too.

What brand do you recommend? I'd like to drain and flush the radiators soon. 1972 Lincoln Continental and 1997 Volvo 850 Turbo sedan.

Back