Now THAT'S some corrosion.

What brand do you recommend? I'd like to drain and flush the radiators soon. 1972 Lincoln Continental and 1997 Volvo 850 Turbo sedan.
I can say that the best stuff I ever used was Mercedes Benz regular coolant. It's clear to yellowish and I never had corrosion problems in anything it ran in that got reasonable changes. They changed to a blue long life product that was so expensive the dealers refused to stock it. I am thinking about buying a case or two of the stuff for my personal use. I has worked nicely with iron and aluminum parts, and I have seen damage from the green stuff on similar engines. Changes and acidity are the keys though.

I can't speak to the Volvo, I know they had many problems with their "white metal" engines... but I never worked on one. I did run the MB product in everything but the bus and I have been negligent in my changes these last several years... when my free supply ran low. I have a case of free Pennzoil 50/50 green in the garage and I haven't decided what to use it in.

Thanks! I'll buy some from the local Benz dealership. Yes you're right Volvo 960s have those horrid "white block" inline 6 engines. I'd never buy a 960. My 850 Turbo has the reliable 2.3 Turbo inline 5. I give it love LOL, premium fuel only, best synthetic oil, etc. At almost 20 years old and 177,000 well cared for miles it's still going strong and is my daily, any weather driver. The 1972 Lincoln Continental lives in our garage and is only driven on nice weather days, my wife calls it "Lincoln, our spoiled child"!

Back