O gauge Trains

Screenshot_20191022-194744_Facebook.jpg

Got another display shelf built. Waiting on the stain to dry for hanging.

32A79100-8FF6-4CF2-B5D1-A2148937689E.jpeg

I found a postwar Lionel identification book that is no longer made, but was luckily documented and published online. Ive been reading it and my inner nerd is showing, but think it’s pretty cool!

I found out my 2333 is a first year production (1948). In ‘48 the decals were rubber stamped on the shells. ‘49 and up the shells were mostly heat stamped. Surprised at how well the decals on this one have held up, looking at the rest of the body. Normally the rubber stamped decals wear off fairly easily from what I’ve heard.

1BAF15A1-528A-4ED6-AF4F-6B8686F5E34E.jpeg

Also found out a good way to identify an original F3 from ‘55-‘58. The F3 mold got nicked in ‘55, and wasn’t fixed until ‘58. This resulted in every F3 produced between those years to have a defect in the right side behind the horns. I checked my ‘55 engines (Wabash and Illinois Central) and sure enough the defect is present. Cool!

7F915764-1924-47BC-B440-4654724D6E24.jpeg

1AF1725C-CA45-48EC-BFCE-D5096FDB82C2.jpeg

E804DA1E-1DEF-4BAA-BC85-FB59574811FD.jpeg

It’s the little bump by the back side corner of the square body lines.

And since we’re on a car forum I’ll include one of the cars.... LOL The dually served as the work bench today for building the shelf. I still get tickled when looking out back and seeing her in front of the shop. Looks just right!

67618C33-95FC-461A-897F-A570F6C5EBD7.jpeg

AFECC86F-2892-4AD1-9DB0-2C3832CC55FF.jpeg

When are you going to build a track that hangs down from the ceiling? Have it going around the whole room?

How many links do you have to Lionel stuff like that and others? I can post a ton of stuff if you want. Where did you find that about the defect on F3's?

When are you going to build a track that hangs down from the ceiling? Have it going around the whole room?

Im trying to expand, but the the significant other has other thoughts about it.... lmao.

How many links do you have to Lionel stuff like that and others? I can post a ton of stuff if you want. Where did you find that about the defect on F3's?

I would never turn it down!!

Here is a link to the pages with the info-
http://www.tcamembers.org/standards/TCA Postwar Lionel Repros - Part2.pdf

Got the 3rd shelf hung tonight! Made quite a bit more room for some future purchases LOL almost the whole bottom shelf is empty now. All kinds of goodies will just have to find their way there.

F2516169-8349-4EDB-AC44-9E7F9B5B5C0C.jpeg

I ordered some more small accessories and people for the city. I was pulling out some of the boxes to get some more track out for the display, and my dumb *** found one of the accessories sets I already had. Jackass! They quickly found their way to the table though...

E4887EFC-1463-4D6E-813D-46069F2FC4E6.jpeg

187ECFA5-D7D4-424E-B255-7DCEB5B3C883.jpeg

D17AFC72-60A7-4615-8EAA-8D69154A3EA2.jpeg

Not to side track your thread Zac, but I think you'll like this. Pretty cool.

Carry on

Post away!! Think that’s great!! Love the rail running around the pond! I couldn’t imagine the up keep to keep that looking nice! That’s a lot of work. Imagine trying to walk out back during the winter! LOL

I’ve thought about an outside rail in the yard, but we have too many trees! It’s a ***** picking up after em now. I could see a bunch of broken track if we tried it.

Uh-oh now you did it. I see a rail yard using up space in the shop.

No worries!..... Yet! LOL I’ve also contemplated a layout in the shop, but am too afraid with the humidity. It would need a de humidifier running 24 7, and even that wouldn’t be enough for out there. Stuff would get ruined. Maybe in a couple years if it ever gets insulated lol.

Today’s train show haul! Went to the TCA show in downtown this morning. Unfortunately the show was a little disappointing... Very small, and not many people. Did manage to bring these 2 home though! A green GG1 restored by E. Welz. My maroon one I have was restored by him as well. Thought it pretty cool to have a matching set both restored by him. They look great together.

also picked up the little 624 switcher. She needs a good cleaning, but is a good runner.

5CCCFF36-8051-4442-8CB4-6A7AE55B9CCF.jpeg
7D11E9BD-CEE0-46E2-97CB-48960CEB43D2.jpeg
467F08A2-DF2E-4516-BF5C-645D297DCD37.jpeg
5F226D07-25DB-4F94-9965-0B5829E6F91A.jpeg
CCA53637-671F-4E04-8148-BB859B587A4B.jpeg

Now to get em services and up and running the rails.

After a servicing and a little cleaning, they are up and running! Green GG1 is a much better runner than the maroon one. Layout is much quieter with all these vertical motored units running vs. the horizontal motored units.

I got one of those, that new stuff is total POS garbage! I did a body swap and put it on a post war chassis. Runs great!

Layout is much quieter with all these vertical motored units running vs. the horizontal motored units.
The vertical motors are called "pulmor" motors by Lionel, I think you can understand why? When dialed in those motors pull great, some more so in reverse then others. Have a present!
Lionel Trains Library

Last edited:
I've got that set

I kick myself every once in a while... there was one of these sets that looked new in the box on Craigslist a few months back for around $100. I should have went and grabbed it, but I snoozed too long on it. Not my favorite era, but would still be great to have.

Does she get set up under the Xmas tree?

I got one of those, that new stuff is total POS garbage! I did a body swap and put it on a post war chassis. Runs great!

The vertical motors are called "pulmor" motors by Lionel, I think you can understand why? When dialed in those motors pull great, some more so in reverse then others. Have a present!
Lionel Trains Library

Yes, these pulmore motors are great! I still favor the horizontal “growlers” but there’s something to be said for how smooth these verticals are.

This little switcher is impressing the hell out of me!! She’s a pulling champ for being a single motored unit!. My other single motored units struggle on the MTH track, not being able to use their magnatraction. This little guy doesn’t seem fazed at all! Just keeps on chugging along.

thanks for the link! I’ll check it out! I’ve just been using the tandem? Postwar page that comes up on google. Been pretty handy for quick info.

I don’t think the GG1 has been run in a while. She started getting pretty stinky and warm after some running. May have to pull her apart, and get her lubed up good, along with a full service. Still a great runner though!

No Zach, it's still wrapped from when I bought it new in 94 I guess.

Two sets go up around the tree. Both from my two youngest kids first Christmas ( 21 & 22 years ago).

Did you join the TCA? Guess I’ll see you in April at the big convention in York PA, lol? I remember seeing Elliot Welz at York several times, he was a respected restorer and master craftsman. Now get to work on that overhead catenary for those GG1s.

Back