Observations on Chryser’s second generation Lean Burn system

I applaud those that attempt to decipher ELB and try to get it running.

I gave up years ago. Too easy to run my current MSD system that performs flawlessly.

Same with ATC II......

Lean Burn day today.

Don’t get me wrong.... it running fine these days. It was just that I’ve built a collection of computers beyond the ones I found in the trunk and needed to sort them.

I’m pretty good at internet research but haven’t been able to find a complete list of the compatible computers and original part numbers for my 78. I was able to make one by looking at the aftermarket ones that are still available. Therefore, for posterity, here it is.

original part numbers I’ve been able to find for a 78 440 four BBL Chrysler are:

4091791, 4091923, 4106073

I got the above from the compatibility description for the Blue Streak Manufacturing (which also goes by the name of Electromotive)

View attachment 340848

www.arizonaparts.com/MoparParts.aspx shows a few more compatible numbers. 4094022,4091072, 4106079. There were a bunch of revisions to the original part numbers.

Dave

Here the collection I have that I needed to sort. One came in the trunk of the car when I bought it and one came with an air cleaner I wanted the lid from.

5640D46F-BBC1-4ECF-B1DB-2D95F4074C40.jpeg

One of the good ones, besides the one in the car now, is not on the list. It is PN 4111441 and appears to be original. No foam underneath with reflective insulation like some of the rebuilt ones I’ve found. It also has all the pins in the socket.

The other one that works is PN 4111678. It has it’s foam insulation and all it’s pins as well.

The other two don’t work and are both missing the same pin which makes me think they are for another engine application entirely.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave....I knew you’d come through!

Probably want to keep what you have as these things are starting to get scarce, most have been tossed at this late date because most of the folks familiar with these systems have retired and the test equipment is long gone.

Dave

Probably want to keep what you have as these things are starting to get scarce, most have been tossed at this late date because most of the folks familiar with these systems have retired and the test equipment is long gone.

Dave
That’s the plan. The museum will want all working examples when the time goes.

The two good ones! One goes into the stash and the other in the trunk along with a spare ballast resistor.

7DB8B7D5-0DA1-4161-9A22-876F66EB8195.jpeg

I wonder if the ones with the pins missing were for the two barrel 318? I believe that's what I had on my 78 LeBaron 318.

Well it finally happened....

The spark control computer finally crapped out.

First it sputtered, then it cut in and out, then it died completely, then it started and died and started and died and started and..... BANG!!! Smoke out of the hood and scared myself to death. Thought I was on fire.

Right in the middle of a coast down to a light on US1 southbound in heavy afternoon traffic. It was running like a charm until then having just come off the end of I-95 (it ends) after about 20 mile return trip.

I must have looked like a B17 making a crash landing on fire. People just got out of the way!!!

Totally unrelated to today’s bit of drama.....

I had done a slight adjustment this morning on the choke to see if I could get a smoother transition from cold start to full temp. As soon as it hit 150 degrees, the enrichment would cut out she would run sort of rough. I thought a bit more choke would work and it did.

Luckily, I had my working spare computer in the trunk in a zip lock bag and just piggy backed it right in to get the rest of the way home.

97E3AD32-7637-4811-A8D3-D0809A97542D.jpeg

Got a year and a half out of it to make it 43 years old. Not too bad... the spare is a Cardone aftermarket rebuilt unit that works fine. I added the sticker to make it look correct.

Time to get another spare

Last edited:
Question guys.Should an owner just ditch the lean burn or get a rebuilt computer.I may buy a car where the carb was changed and the lean burn deleted.Should i be worried about that?It,s a 78 New Yorker and can you get them to run correctly?thanks.B.B

Question guys.Should an owner just ditch the lean burn or get a rebuilt computer.I may buy a car where the carb was changed and the lean burn deleted.Should i be worried about that?It,s a 78 New Yorker and can you get them to run correctly?thanks.B.B
Yes! You can get them to run as smoothly as a Lexus.
Throw away ALL the Lean Burn and other pollution control crap, throw on the best street carb you can afford, have someone INTELLIGENT dial everything in properly. Not Carlos down behind the Taco restaurant.
And it will probably be cleaner out the exhaust pipe than in 1978.

Having a working Lean burn i can say that life with it ain’t easy while dialing it back in after an overhaul of the system. Short answer.... get a box.

To put your old lean burn into.

And swap in a direct connection or other aftermarket electronic ignition and new distributor with a vacuum advance. Even Carlos behind the Taco Bell or commando 1 can easily dial it in for you in about 10 min.

.T.Ok.I will keep this in mind.Luckily i have an honest garage around the corner.I think i may have to wait longer on a car.Just the distance to go find a car out of state,time involved,energy to do so.By Friday i,m pooped.Glad to have you guys around.Thanks again.B.B

Back