Odd trim piece

kar1179

Reaction score
I have this new-to-me '65 Newport that has a trim piece down the middle of the slab (see pic). None of the photos of these cars online have this piece - does anyone know if it is original? It is rubber and has shrunk - I imagine a replacement would be impossible to conjur up...

InkedIMG_3083_LI.jpg

I have this new-to-me '65 Newport that has a trim piece down the middle of the slab (see pic). None of the photos of these cars online have this piece - does anyone know if it is original? It is rubber and has shrunk - I imagine a replacement would be impossible to conjur up...

View attachment 516491
My 65 4 door parts car does not currently have this trim piece, although it was apparently restored at some point so it could have been removed. Maybe a side/door protector option that was available. That’s a cool looking 2 door, If you need any parts for it in the future just let me know. My 4 door is a giver.

That’s a common car lot add on Trim From the 70’s and 80’s. No it’s not original.

Car dealer add on. Not uncommon to see.

They sold it by the roll.

Stick-on vinyl body side molding, universal. NOT OEM by any stretch of the imagination, especially in 1965!

It is a metal strip with a rubber insert slid in. I hope it is just stick on, that would be great. I just kind of assumed it would be held on with clips through holes in the sheet metal.

Sorry to tell you, those are not stick on they are riveted.

I don't know about the metal yet, but the rubber is slide into the metal - kind of hard to explain but the metal is like a runner that the rubber slides into.

You pick the ends for the trim and rivet everything on, the rubber slides in the aluminum channel, a variety of colors of rubber.

They screwed your lots of body panels with that crap!

You pick the ends for the trim and rivet everything on, the rubber slides in the aluminum channel, a variety of colors of rubber.

They screwed your lots of body panels with that crap!
Especially in "rust prone regions" of the country! They would usually tape the aluminum channel to the body and then drill holes in it and the body at once, using pop rivets for attachment to the body. NO protection from future corrosion around the holes, so rust would "drip" from each hole. Same on the trim around add-on vinyl tops. When we went to Avery Island, LA at the access point of the McIlhenny Salt Mine, across the street was a '72 Impala on blocks. Had an add-on vinyl top. From EACH hole that was drilled for the finish molding, there was a strip of dark red rust all the way to the bottom of the rocker panel.

Those rivet-on metal channel moldings were greatly desired over the "stick-on" moldings, which sometimes came off. Yet those would not as they were riveted on. Never got crooked with age, either. With age, though, the inner vinyl strip would shrink from the TX heat and such, which didn't look too good. By later years, the quality of the "stick-on" improved and they worked better, longer. In north TX, not too many issues with rust, though. FWIW

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I worked at a Pontiac store in the 80's. We offered 2 types of aftermarket body side Mouldings, the "stick on" type which came on a roll and the "riveted on" type. We installed the "stick on" type but the "riveted" ones were done at the upholstery shop. They drilled holes, riveted on aluminum channel and inserted vinyl trim. If you still have an upholstery shop around from the 80's they may have what you need.

I don't know about the metal yet, but the rubber is slide into the metal - kind of hard to explain but the metal is like a runner that the rubber slides into.
I'm going to go against the grain on this one and say that it might just be an obscure factory option, or otherwise done at the dealership before sale. The Monaco 500 in my sig has been in my family since it rolled off the lot way back in 68', and it has side moulding nearly identical to what yours has. I've seen pictures of it at the dealership when my great aunt bought it and it already had that moulding/ trim running down the sides, so no aftermarket treatment so far as I know. I'd say it is very likely original, even if may have been a dealer add-on and not a true factory option. Good luck with the search, and congrats on that great looking C-Body!

I'm going to go against the grain on this one and say that it might just be an obscure factory option, or otherwise done at the dealership before sale. The Monaco 500 in my sig has been in my family since it rolled off the lot way back in 68', and it has side moulding nearly identical to what yours has. I've seen pictures of it at the dealership when my great aunt bought it and it already had that moulding/ trim running down the sides, so no aftermarket treatment so far as I know. I'd say it is very likely original, even if may have been a dealer add-on and not a true factory option. Good luck with the search, and congrats on that great looking C-Body!
Excellent! So it might be worth fixing and keeping

Back