OE Carter Strip kits or Eddy strip kits??

Sir Dodge alot

Reaction score
Hello again Gents.

I've recently started to give the OE Carter AVS (1968) an honest attempt at tuning, rods/springs/jets.

I've been looking for a strip kit that has an assortment of jets, step up rods, step up rod springs.

From some sources I was able to pull up, that the "modern" Edelbrock strip kits will NOT work with my OE AVS, and I most likely need an OLD strip kit that Carter produced back then.

Just need factual confirmation from multiple sources that the 68' AVS indeed needs a different strip kit.

So to make my decision off of choosing which strip kit will work in my case, I wanted to consult the masses.

So, for those with experience around strip kits, how did it work out for you? Was it a "New" Eddy carb? Is the Eddy strip kits incompatible/compatible with my OE 68' Carter AVS? If you did have a similar OE Carter AVS, how did the strip kits work out with you?

Appreciate the responses.

Last edited:
From what I remember there is a difference between some Carter to Eddy carbs. Some Carters came with a 3 stage rod the jets should interchange. I have an older Carter strip kit but it is intermingled with Eddy stuff. Just did a 2x4 on a big block and it gets $$$ and the Carter stuff is out there and $$$ also. Dont buy the Ebay junk kits the QC is terrible. Google Carter parts, Jims rings a bell but don't hold me to it. Luckily the 2x4 set up was Ed 500s and I had to lean the crap out of them. Let Me know what rods you are looking for I may have some but not many. The Ed tuning guide for what ever size carb you have is a good resource to get you close. Wagonman.. PS no longer in Oregon, now NM close to ElPaso. Fairview TX?? PPS sold a 63 Crown Coupe to a Buddy still had the carb on the 413 let me see what he is doing with it, think it was froze up.

Last edited:
From what I remember there is a difference between some Carter to Eddy carbs. Some Carters came with a 3 stage rod the jets should interchange. I have an older Carter strip kit but it is intermingled with Eddy stuff. Just did a 2x4 on a big block and it gets $$$ and the Carter stuff is out there and $$$ also. Dont buy the Ebay junk kits the QC is terrible. Google Carter parts, Jims rings a bell but don't hold me to it. Luckily the 2x4 set up was Ed 500s and I had to lean the crap out of them. Let Me know what rods you are looking for I may have some but not many. The Ed tuning guide for what ever size carb you have is a good resource to get you close. Wagonman.. PS no longer in Oregon, now NM close to ElPaso. Fairview TX?? PPS sold a 63 Crown Coupe to a Buddy still had the carb on the 413 let me see what he is doing with it, think it was froze up.
Hi there, appreciate the response, I believe I need step up rod springs to tweak the A/F mix at cruise.

I'm quite new to tinkering with the Carter AVS's so I don't exactly know "what" I need. But I believe I can start with the previously mentioned step up rod springs, since right now I'm getting about 5 MPG, OUCH.

Regarding the cheap ebay kits, I stopped just before getting a dodgy looking kit, close call I guess?

The step up rods on the AVS I'm working with is indeed a 3 step type.

Thanks.

This is what I have for the kit. None of the rods are a 3 step. The springs should interchange as far as I know. What is the carb #. 5 MPG is worse than the Dual quad set up I did for my Buddies 63 Belvedere wagon 383 push button 323s SG. He whines about 12 MPG, Hey you wanted the cool factor.

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

A bit of hard learned wisdom, do one change at a time and evaluate. The easiest first of course.

Once again, thanks for the wait & responses.

The Carter AVS mounting ear # 4635S, and pulled out a step up rod spring, which looks like the
7HG or 8HG of vacuum silver spring. Unless the color has been eroded away by the fuel.

PXL_20230501_184724962.jpg

Also, never thought to check the local chain parts stores for the step up rod Springs.

I'll search around a bit.

Try a blue or yellow to hold the rods down as long as it doesn't surge or hesitate. Dang that looks like a long spring, none of mine have any color left. Looking at the rods I have Carters have a P# like 16-241 that needs to be deciphered, Eddy has the size stamped like 76x55. What do you have? They are the same length. Only have 1 three step 16-572 not referenced in the kit. The 16-241 must be a close limit rod @ .0705x.0475 Holley makes close limit jets. Gnats *** stuff.

Last edited:
Chances are slim to none on that.

Try a blue or yellow to hold the rods down as long as it doesn't surge or hesitate. Dang that looks like a long spring, none of mine have any color left. Looking at the rods I have Carters have a P# like 16-241 that needs to be deciphered, Eddy has the size stamped like 76x55. What do you have? They are the same length. Only have 1 three step 16-572 not referenced in the kit. The 16-241 must be a close limit rod @ .0705x.0475 Holley makes close limit jets. Gnats *** stuff.
That reminds me...

12 MPG on a dual quad setup ain't bad! Got a 2008 Ferd F-250 V10 that gets around 11.

Anywho, the number on the rod looks to be:
16-574.

Reading the small numbering on the rod is giving my eyes a vision test, I've still got it. Lol.

Regarding the rod springs, I've found some Edelbrock springs a set of ten included is the blue/yellow/orange/pink/silver springs.

If the spring in the carb right now and the color is to be legit, I've got the silver spring, no bueno! All performance and no milage. XD

Also side note, judging from the witness wear marks on the rod, looks like it's mostly spending time at the bottom of the rod, so the narrow tip was in the jets.

(Notice the shiny part of the tip versus the dull top end of the rod where it doesn't look like it has been dunked in fuel)

Zoomed up picture of the shiny spot on the tip of the rod below.

PXL_20230501_212217783~2.jpg

PXL_20230501_213306512.jpg

PXL_20230501_213306512~2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. After 50 plus years **** wears out, like that rod and the power piston. If the piston and bore are worn the vacuum signal will be compromised and not hold the rod in the correct position. You can run it with the little cover/ rod holders out of the way for a visual of what they are doing. That piston looks pretty crusty. Is there a size spec for it? I am sure there is but I don't have one. Same as the bore in the carb. Think re-ringing for a better seal. Just spit balling here. Did a search for 16-574 rod no luck. Was trying to find something comparable.

I am like a dog with a bone. Look on H.A.m.b. Hokey *** message board, Really. There is a post about all the Strip kits Carter offered starting in 1973. Mind boggling, Maybe your carb # is on there. They made them for AFB-AVS and THERMO Quads and the Competition carbs.

Sorry for the late reply. After 50 plus years **** wears out, like that rod and the power piston. If the piston and bore are worn the vacuum signal will be compromised and not hold the rod in the correct position. You can run it with the little cover/ rod holders out of the way for a visual of what they are doing. That piston looks pretty crusty. Is there a size spec for it? I am sure there is but I don't have one. Same as the bore in the carb. Think re-ringing for a better seal. Just spit balling here. Did a search for 16-574 rod no luck. Was trying to find something comparable.
No problem at all Sir, I was experimenting with the step up springs in the meantime.

Yes, i left the step up rod covers slightly off to the side and and the piston does indeed go all the way down with the engine idling , and jumps up when the engine is revved.

I took my vaccum gauge & strapped it to the dashboard and went for a cruise, the blue spring wouldn't exactly allow the piston to richen the mix unless at WOT,
(The blue spring is rated at 3HG of vacuum)

(Even at WOT, the Vacuum would drop to around 5 ish on the gauge, so the blue spring might be too lean)

A very lean mix I'd assume, With the blue spring
(The blue spring allowed the engine to run the cleanest/smoothest though, and no pinging)

But no stumbles other than that with the blue spring.

I am like a dog with a bone. Look on H.A.m.b. Hokey *** message board, Really. There is a post about all the Strip kits Carter offered starting in 1973. Mind boggling, Maybe your carb # is on there. They made them for AFB-AVS and THERMO Quads and the Competition carbs.
I''ll be sure to peruse the HAMB also, I've heard of that message board but never thought to check them, appreciate it Sir.

So according to CarbKing @ The HAMB, lists the strip kit I need to tune the AVS, Kit # 10-106.

This kit tunes most AVS's,

AVS # 4401, 4424, 4425, 4426, 4428, 4429, 4611, 4612, 4615, 4616, 4617, 4618, 4635, 4636, 4637, 4638, 4639, 4640, 4682, 4711, 4732, 4734, 4736, 4737, 4738, 4739, 4740, 4741, 4933, 4934, 4935, 4936, 4937, 4960, 4967, 4968, 6125, 6433, 6434, 6435, 6436, 6437.

Now I just need to find the kit! The search is on!

THE HAMB tip off was a god send, Thanks @wagonman.

Also, as I recall the 3 step rods used a domed cover over the piston, and 2 step jets use a flat cover like the modern edelbrocks do. If you run the wrong rods under the wrong cover, it won’t tune right.

As an aside, I have an aftermarket performance thermoquad from back in the day, as well as a vintage thermoquad strip kit to tune it. I’m looking forward to dinking with it at some point.
Travis..

Also, as I recall the 3 step rods used a domed cover over the piston, and 2 step jets use a flat cover like the modern edelbrocks do. If you run the wrong rods under the wrong cover, it won’t tune right.

As an aside, I have an aftermarket performance thermoquad from back in the day, as well as a vintage thermoquad strip kit to tune it. I’m looking forward to dinking with it at some point.
Travis..
Yes Sir, I've heard of that, where you can swap the NON domed step up rod covers to run the new Eddy 2 step type step up rods.

The negatives with the 2 step versus the 3 step is slightly less efficient in some parts of the RPM band.

Heard there will be a slight stumble running the AVS with the 2 step.

PITA, I know to search for a AVS kit that most likely will be expensive.

But I'd like to run the engine/carb in their most efficient way possible with stock or period components.

Let's see how long I will last searching for the kit.
The survival game has begun!

Last edited:
I hear ya on the original parts thing. The original carb on my 300 had 3 step rods, but they were worn on one side because someone bent them slightly at some point and they rubbed in the jet. I also had other issues with the 50 plus year old carb so I just hit the easy button and slapped on a new edelbrock from one of my other cars. Runs great, though it could likely use a little tuning with the easy to get eddy parts. Good luck on your search, I bet there’s a kit out there waitin on ya
Travis..

I hear ya on the original parts thing. The original carb on my 300 had 3 step rods, but they were worn on one side because someone bent them slightly at some point and they rubbed in the jet. I also had other issues with the 50 plus year old carb so I just hit the easy button and slapped on a new edelbrock from one of my other cars. Runs great, though it could likely use a little tuning with the easy to get eddy parts. Good luck on your search, I bet there’s a kit out there waitin on ya
Travis..
Sometimes in the past I've thought to get a Holley or an Eddy.

But I decided to go stock, with the frustrations that follow, who knows? I might end up bracket racing in the stock components only races.
(Forgot, what it was called. Super stock class?)
(Or stock eliminator?)

Anywho, appreciate the good luck wishes.
Much thanks.

Back