Okay. Some of you guys asked for it. Here it is.

Cool pictures, depressing facts.
Guess Ca will have to import more illegals to shovel by hand.
We got more work than we know what to do with. Our guys here are 10hr days 7 days a week for as long as they can go. We can’t hire anybody, it’s crazy. Up here we have some huge jobs coming up and there are no operators for the contractors either. Nobody wants to work outside anymore. Trust me these aren’t $15 an hour jobs either. It’s nuts.

Glad you asked Dave. Well the short answer is yes and no.

Even though CARB was found to be faking the rules standards tests and run by a lying fraud w a fake diploma we still have to comply by law. Farmers are exempt from any and all rules. Small owners can black flag an old machine and it cannot leave the property. Then it gets tricky.

It’s all based on a crazy horsepower system. Until 2024 when the government will confiscate & scrap any old machines in Kalifornia you can run and rebuild them. Certain restrictions apply. You can’t add to your total fleet horsepower unless it’s tier 4 power. This is latest (not greatest) emissions controls, DPF - after treatment systems- DEF injection etc etc engines. They live about 1/2 as long as an old hoss because they run so hot. They literally burn out. You can rebuild preban machines but you cannot import engines from out of state. I had a gold mine do this and the 10 days it took to import the motor and then it back out of the state cost them $100,000. Other rule for old engines is cost of rebuild cannot be more than 50% cost of new. If you buy a new or reman there must be a core. Like cash for clunkers you can’t keep the old engine (it adds HP - think Tim Allen’s how many CID is in your driveway) I had a customer do this, it cost them a $30,000 fine.

I can go on and on it just sucks. Some engines like the monster 3516 is banned outright. When the power was cut for the crazy fire deal you should have heard the hospitals governmental etc screaming because CAT abandoned the California market for large stationary power generation. 3512 is as big as we go no ( yes that means 12 cylinders at 3500 size ) more big plants available for the magic unattainable emissions regulations.

It’s so bad the dealers are cutting back our cut of repowers. A repower is an old machine w latest n greatest diesel tech installed. It can be a million bucks plus to repower the biggest of scrapers. $300k just for the power plant. It was a real commission gold rush until higher higher pulled the plug. Us worker bees aren’t supposed to get too rich to want to come into work right ???

This is supposed to be fun so I’d better stop myself here...

So Ca has implemented an emission strategy that probably can not be met with existing diesel technology and any equipment that does not meet the new standard will have to be scrapped. Sounds to me like a lot of valuable construction equipment will be leaving Ca before those deadlines take effect. So exactly how do they plan to move dirt anyway. Gangs of illegals with shovels?

Dave

So Ca has implemented an emission strategy that probably can not be met with existing diesel technology and any equipment that does not meet the new standard will have to be scrapped. Sounds to me like a lot of valuable construction equipment will be leaving Ca before those deadlines take effect. So exactly how do they plan to move dirt anyway. Gangs of illegals with shovels?

Dave
The new CATs meet all of the CARB laws. Problem is JD, komatsu, brand X, etc have been in compliance using flex credits. A kind of carbon credit scam so they can pay to be able to sell in California. Now CAT has diligently kept attaining the goals (as they constantly move the end zone) and we are fine. The other guys not so much. It was cool for them to be able to price their throwaway machines at about 3/4s of our prices. This really hurt us then but now that flex credits are ending they may well be screwed. They earned it and they deserve it. It hasn’t been fair to us yet so we are just waiting for some other crazy rule like “go help JD pass emissions CAT” to pop up.

This first happened to aviation. From barnstormers to the most boring hobby in the world. What could be funnier than flying? Then the government stepped in. Now it is like reading the phone book.

They did the same to cars, in less than ten years. From a 1967 Buick Riviera to a 1976 Buick Railroad Tie. They are the reason there is no more Plymouth Pontiac AMC Oldsmobile etc etc etc.

Then they turned their guns on us. Now we did pretty good pretty fast but as you know the government does not know the value of a dollar has know idea what the law of diminishing returns is. They almost bankrupted the whole industry chasing that last 2%. I believe if President Trump hadn’t been elected our company would now be foreign owed and on the same broken glass covered water slide to hell Chrysler is riding. If you doubt any of this google federal regulation gas can vs the one in your trunk. They should stick to governing and stop trying to fix stuff for us. America will always find a way (around them).

I’ll put away my soapbox. Sorry.

Thanks for the informative thread. I'm surprised that a big outfit like Cat lets you take pictures at work. It was always a no no where I worked. It is sad that you have to fight your own government to stay in business.

Our new snow equipment is coming in with orange engines ( SCANIA). DC-13, DEF delete too, time will tell.
20191002_153451.jpg
20191002_153924.jpg

Feeling a little inadequate right now. I could hide my machine in the bucket of that big *** loader View attachment 333919
You can did a whole swimming pool w that critter in a couple days thru a small gate. That’s one bad little machine.

On a side note...

If you ever decide to replace the tracks watch the video. It’s counterintuitive so there is a 2 day way and a 10 min way of doing it. One of the biggest pratfalls of owning one of those dudes. Enjoy it!

Thanks for the informative thread. I'm surprised that a big outfit like Cat lets you take pictures at work. It was always a no no where I worked. It is sad that you have to fight your own government to stay in business.
The only thing we wouldn’t be able to share would be an accident. That’s for the company only. They usually take pics write it up and post it. Kind of like the Fatalgrams MSHA posts. Most dealers will let anyone interested have the run of the place within reason. We do tours for kids all the time, as long as it’s safe we don’t have any secrets at our level.

You can did a whole swimming pool w that critter in a couple days thru a small gate. That’s one bad little machine.

On a side note...

If you ever decide to replace the tracks watch the video. It’s counterintuitive so there is a 2 day way and a 10 min way of doing it. One of the biggest pratfalls of owning one of those dudes. Enjoy it!
Thanks for that. I got a new set of tracks with the unit. Has 1900 hrs now and around the farm I’ll be doing well to put on 100 hrs a year so it’ll be a while before I have to change them out. I was told about the grease removal method but haven’t seen it done so the utoob will definitely be worth the watch.

Back