Old Compressor on new Gas

crugone

Reaction score
Dear All i would like to reimplement the aircondition system in my car. i have all original parts availabel. There is a question regarding the old Gas (12r)and the new 134a ( i think it was this number). The old original compressor also will support the new GAS it is only important to get the old GAS and oil out of the system and then it should also work well.

Many thanks for your ideas on this subject
crugone

chances are here is no r12 left in the system. just depress one of the schraeder valves gently wearing safety glasses of course. if there is very little pressure or none than remove the compressor, drain out the old mineral oil and replace it with poly oil. make friends with a refrigeration mechanic or a/c guy. he will have everything u need. he will pressure test the system, evacuate it and recharge it for u with 134a . this will not take too long. replacing the orings on the lines is a good idea. good luck

About 1998, I put R-134A in my 65 Newport with York compressor (dealer installed?). I had the compressor off, so drained it well and blew alcohol thru the lines, then dried them. It has worked fine and maybe only added 2 cans since. I probably used PAG oil. Since then, I have been using Dura-cool in all my R-12 cars. It is a hydrocarbon mixture (butane) and there are several brands. Works slightly better than freon and compatible with all oils. Kind of wish I had waited on my Newport, but it was out of freon and they were asking even bigger bucks for it then (maybe 1998). While some claim unsafe, including the EPA, I understand it is now used in home refrigerators in Europe. R-134A is a potent greenhouse gas and I understand is being ended. It also makes poisonous phosgene gas when it burns.

Within 20 years you're going to rationing. A/C allowed only on even numbered days, heat on odd numbered days.

< Sent from my tablet >

Back