RV2 compressor crankshaft seal

carlv12

Reaction score
Hello,

There are 2 different crankshaft seals for the RV2 compressors, the original Mopar part number 1426501 and the modern one from Classic Industries parts number MD646747, see pictures.

I guess that the Mopar ones are all 40-50 years old and that could be a problem? What are your opinions and experiences concerning these two crankshaft seal options?

Thank you and best regards

Carlos

Mopar 1426501 pic 1.JPG

Classic Industries MD646747.jpg

When I rebuilt my compressor I used an (expensive) old Mopar NORS seal. Not good. See the cardboard that the seal assembly is shrink-wrapped to? Over five decades it absorbed moisture and thus there was corrosion on the seal surfaces.

So I discovered this shiny Santech item for about $10 from AutoZone. No corrosion.

IMG_5177.JPG

And if I remember correctly, the Mopar seal kit wasn't "organized" in the pack in the same way the seal gets assembled, so that was really confusing to figger that out. I think that was done so the polished steel surface wasn't against the ceramic seal while on the parts department's shelf.

The Santech comes out of the package in the correct assembly order. Study your old seal (take pics!!) carefully as you remove the parts from the compressor.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I just used the Santech seal in my 71 300 that went to Austria. Last month I conversed with the owner just to see how everything was going and he said the car still runs excellent and he is especially pleased that the modern seal I used which is Santech was still holding R12 after almost 3 years now in the original RV2 compressor just fine.

I personally would not use any nos seal as they do not have the much better modern technology in them.

Hello,

my mechanic has fitted the Classic Industries crankshaft seal part number MD646747 in two different RV2 compressors that I have and both are leaking. They hold the vacuum correctly, but then we start the engine with the AC on and all seems to be ok. After turning off the engine and starting the engine again every time we accelerate the compressor leaks around the crankshaft seal. Just a little bit, but this should NOT happen.

Should we try with the original Mopar seal 1426501 or what is your advice?

I guess finally I will have to convert to a modern Sanden compressor, because these RV2 are a nightmare. I like the design of them, but I cannot pay so many hours in the workshop for absolutely nothing.

I am very dissapointed, because on other US cars that I own a new Harrison A5 compressor was the final solution, but there are NO new RV2 compressors available and all reman oes were leaking!!!!

I hope you can help me....

Thank you once more

Regards

Carlos

Back