Old Parts Cleaning??

BoatMan

Reaction score
Guys-

I have purchased a few old parts from guys on here to do a disk conversion this winter. obviously they need cleaned up before I put them in the car. What is a good way to clean these up?

Spindles, shields, pedal assembly, etc..

Guys-

I have purchased a few old parts from guys on here to do a disk conversion this winter. obviously they need cleaned up before I put them in the car. What is a good way to clean these up?

Spindles, shields, pedal assembly, etc..
There are core charges on the calipers so so just swap 'um out. New rotors are cheap and no core charges on those. Shields I get blasted and Por-15 'um before remounting. Steering knuckles, I'd get Media Blasted and put a fine coat of oil on 'um and get after it! ...And new rubber brake line of course and dual M/C are mandatory and Proportioning iz your call and some what optional but I like 'um on my conversionz, Jer

Last edited:
I've been soaking stuff in vinegar to derust them. Takes a couple days and then I pressure wash them.

I wouldn't do the spindles that way because of the machined surface. A coarse wire wheel can do it if you don't want to sandblast.

Az Jer sez, replace the soft parts and calipers etc.

As all stated above, are tried a true techniques. IMO, it depends on the look you going for. Most of these parts were bare metal when new in most cases, also some parts were dipped.. so! If you going for stock look, I would degrease the parts you can't replace and lightly oil them for that stock look.. and "Buy New" the normal wear items.. as mentioned above.

10 parts water, 1 part rural grade molasses, warmer the better, 2-5 days usually covers it. As with any rust removal it will flash off pretty fast after you pull it out. Only removes rust, will not affect machined surfaces - dump the whole lot in a plastic tub and find some other stuff to do for a few days.

edit: Its smells and may attract bugs and or flies if not sealed reasonably - had some interesting maggots in my last batch, my vat has been quarantined to a far corner of the yard lols
The leftover fluid is good for ant proofing things, ants dont like rust seemingly

Back