On This Day In History, September 20th

traintech55

Reaction score
Today would have been my fathers 110th birthday, (9/20/1907 to 3/19/1979). Here is just a little history about the best dad you could have, (IMHO). Born in Centerville, Mississippi and moved to Chicago with his family in 1929, My grandparents had a farm that went under after the depression.
Started working at one of the top restaurants in Chicago as a doorman and with all of his accomplishments still worked there until he retired in 1974. Life was pretty tame for him until he entered the army in March of 1942, (he was 34 years old at the time). Served as a prison camp guard and was wounded in an escape attempt and was discharged from the army in March 1947. After he returned to Chicago he went back to his old job and later that year got his first taxi licence from the city.
He met my mother in 1948 and they married in 1950, he adopted and raised my oldest sisters and brother and always treated them like his own, (my oldest brother cried harder than I did at his funeral). My brother Edward Jr. was born in 1952, and I was born in 1955, (yes I am the baby of the bunch).
He worked at building the taxi company and at the time of his death had 10 city licences, always used Chrysler products for the company, but did own a few Fords in the 50's. Always sent us kids to good schools, and always had the time to talk to us kids and our friends. My two oldest friends are brothers whose father left when they were very young and my dad always had time for them also. Every mother in the neighborhood knew he worked nights, so if one of the kids on the block got hurt, dad would get up and take them to the hospital.
This does not mean he was perfect, and like all of us he had his weakness , Fast women, (before my mother), fast cars, and slow horses. He did love to drive fast and as kids we were all addicted to the sound of him taking us out on Sundays, in our 1958 Thunderbird.
He taught me to be respectful of others, work hard for what you want in life, and that the word "NO" will not crush you. When he passed he had so many people come to the wake we had to extend it another day. He was so good that his old friend who was the owner of the funeral home were we had the services at would not let my mother pay him for the service or the transportation to Woods National Cemetery in Milwaukee where he was put to rest.
The only time I ever saw him cry was the day I entered the Marine Corps. I was also lucky to have him as a friend at the end of his life, we had some really good times together.
Happy Birthday Daddy

Awesome tribute, man. Nothing like being raised by a dad who consistently amazes you with his abilities in this world and inspires you to be the absolute best you can be.

Thank you for the story about your Pops, Bill.

Reminds me a lot of my old man, except he liked fast horses. lol

He used to race them at Maywood Park, Hawthorne and Aurora Downs in the late 70's and early 80's.

Thank you for the story about your Pops, Bill.

Reminds me a lot of my old man, except he liked fast horses. lol

He used to race them at Maywood Park, Hawthorne and Aurora Downs in the late 70's and early 80's.
My dad probably bet on them.

Salute to your Dad!

images.jpg

I know Woods and the Old Soldiers Home well.

I was born and raised in Milwaukee.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the likes and messages. Yesterday was I hard day for me.
Now I have a funny story to share with you all. My father and mother always had alone time on Sunday afternoons. When we kids were younger, we would go to Gramma's. One Sunday when I was about 17 my friend Dave came over to the house, and noticed my parents were not to be seen. So when he asked where they were I told him, "In the bedroom".
He then goes over to the room door, and bangs on it and yell's, "Stop what you two are doing in there".
10 seconds later, my father opens the door stark naked, with a pistol in his hand. My friend turned as white as a ghost and ran through the house with my father chasing him. He was so scared he did not come over for two weeks. When he did I told him to apologize to my dad and everything would be OK. My friend did say he was sorry, and my fathers words back to him were "NEVER **** WITH A MAN WHEN HE IS GETTING A PIECE OF ***".

Mario, when I go to Milwaukee now it is to visit my parents at the cemetery. I don't think you want to make that trip. But if you do I could always use some cheering up on the way home.

oops. **** Bill, sorry. I didnt know it was for that.

Great story Bill.

Sunday afternoon was a favorite time for my Dad too... LOL.

Back