One step closer...

very nice. I am guessing you will be removing the mechanical fuel pump and installing a plate as the efi will require an electric fuel pump. very nice looking motor. hope it runs as good as it looks.

I am guessing you will be removing the mechanical fuel pump and installing a plate as the efi will require an electric fuel pump.

The FiTech EFI system comes with a "fuel command center" that includes the high pressure pump. The mechanical pump feeds the command center, then it is delivered to throttle body. It is just off the camera next to the radiator. I post a pic next time I am down at the shop.

If mid range is what you are looking for that sounds like your cam. Hopefully it will get your very heavy car going from a stand still.

If mid range is what you are looking for that sounds like your cam. Hopefully it will get your very heavy car going from a stand still.
I had similar thoughts... big heavy cruiser= low end torque required. I find I don't have much desire for redline power anymore. I guess I'm now old...:wtf:

You guys really have me sweating now. I had long conversations with the builder on my goals of this project, and I went with his recommendation on the cam. I hope he didn't blow it.

You guys really have me sweating now. I had long conversations with the builder on my goals of this project, and I went with his recommendation on the cam. I hope he didn't blow it.
It's in now, you own it, stop worrying. Worst case, you break in that cam and decide you don't like it. New cam and lifters won't upset the universe too much. Meanwhile you have a running car that you might enjoy driving the way she is built. I am no expert at picking camshafts, and never will be... I just use some basic principles to guide me when looking at performance parts.

The true power band where your older engine without variable cam timing, valve lift or intake is going to be more like 2000-3000 RPM, not quite the 4000 RPM the cam box says it will be. If you have a build that the parts match well, you should have a car that runs very strong within that range.

Older engines without all the benefits of the last 30 years (or so) are going to be built on a principle of compromise, unless you are building for a specific competition and don't care about idle quality and the ability to run red light traffic. The factory compromise was based on the technology of the day, but also the compromise of emissions, production costs and reasonable driveability for the folks who were buying the car new as a DD.

For a guy like me, who will seldom use WOT, building the car to pull hard into redline is wasting the low end where I would do much of my driving. My ideal engine for the big heavy car is more about lower RPM torque. I would feel that every time I left a stop sign and still keep a softer idle. My dream build also has the potential to plateau before I get to redline... which would be a tragic event for some.

Back to your actual engine instead of my dream one... I would guess that with everything else you had some other work done during the build, the engine guy may well have picked a winner if you did anything to help her breathe better (head work, intake...), so don't go getting worried now.

Thanks for the additional info (and the insight to your dream engine). I am quite positive I will be happy in the long run. Heck, these guys have had my car so long now, I think I might even be happy to be disappointed with the performance... at least I'd be driving my car again. Although it might be to a divorce lawyer... Mrs. SPF would not be all too happy if this car sucks up even more money!

Stopped by the shop yesterday to find some more work done on the engine... The FiTech is now mounted on the engine. Take a look!

Fitech on top.jpg

Need to reconfigure the alternator and realign some pulleys to account for deleting the AC (let the hate begin), but things are moving along. More pics soon, I promise.

And following the advice from the mechanic, I ordered a new gas tank (and sending unit for good measure). It was delivered today! woo hoo (don't tell Mrs. SPF I set in on the new carpet to take this picture). :D

New tank.JPG

Dropped the tank off at the shop today. They rolled my beauty outside for a little fall cleaning. Photo opp!
2F4361DA-3BFB-4AEC-9606-FDB75D194AB9.jpeg

ECADC2BB-B354-427B-9ED2-1CDFC0C1E6C6.jpeg

EB479F80-7E07-4CDE-BAEA-D91626702350.jpeg
8F02AA63-9C99-4E59-AC35-60E819BE0710.jpeg
054FFF1E-FE07-46EC-86A3-357B496404AE.jpeg
New tank is in! Alternator pulley is finally lining up and new power steering pump is going in the week. As the title of this thread states... One Step Closer!

Happy Saturday Fellow C-Body Dudes (and Dudettes)!

Mechanic did not make any promises, but is optimistic that we will have our first startup of the rebuilt 440 with the FiTech in a couple of weeks. He is hopeful to have the car back to me before Christmas. Some more pics for now with the hopes of a first startup video coming soon.

Horn relocated with new MSD box in its place:
12_1-2 IMG_0166.JPG

Belts lined up (finally) and new power steering pump installed.
12_1-3 IMG_0167.JPG

The entire family is getting excited to start cruising around town soon!

Back in December my mechanic said a couple of weeks til the first start of the new engine... well I think he meant a couple of months! I am happy to report the engine was fired up this week and it sounds like things are looking good. And just in time as the weather is starting to turn to Spring here in Northern California. Still a handful of small things to get done, but I suspect I will have my car back soon enough. Yahoo!

I've learned the deadline is never when it was planned for. It will be worth the wait once you go cruising for the first time and enjoy the car.

So I swung by the mechanic today because they are very close to wrapping up the project. I was so excited to see my ride out getting some sun with the hood finally on (still needs alignment) ! One of the items they had to finish up was some work on the passenger side exhaust manifold.... that’s when they delivered the bad news. It would appear when the engine rebuilder (not my mechanic) did the work, they did not replace the manifold studs. And the one at the front passenger side snapped off leaving half inside the block. Nooooooo!

So...it sounds like it will still be awhile before I get the keys back, bummer.

But knowing how much you guys like pictures, here are a couple to tide you over.

2-14.jpg

2-14.jpg

Back