Options for compatible bucket seats

Zezima

Reaction score
Now I'm sure this is a pretty common question, as far as when it comes to converting front bench seats to buckets, and I understand about the dimpling and drilling, though my question seems to be a little more specific that I haven't seen anywhere else that I could find, so I thought I would ask it here.

Since I don't have any buckets of my own, and it would be pretty pointless of me to not have one on hand before removing my bench, after looking around at options, at least from what I can find, even the cheapest ones from same year Mopars seem to go for $300 even in terrible condition, and some without rails, since I would want to retain the sliding adjustability.

So I was wondering, does anyone know the measurements for the bucket rail and bolt mounting points? As far as options to consider outside of direct replacements such as from other 69-73 C bodies, which seem to be hard to find, would anyone know of aftermarket seats, or even seats from other manufacturers that could also substitute as far as fitment? Or maybe more common models or years that are more attainable, since if a seat is listed as Charger or Challenger it's definitely going to get taxed. I definitely have no clue about this, so any insight would be appreciated.

Possible that the holes might already be in the floorpan? Just plugged wiith undercoat or similar? I doubt that Chrysler had more than one floorpan stamping for the front seat area and then had to coordinate that with the seat supply on the assy line.

Just a suspicion,
CBODY67

Your avatar has a 70 polara?
I would suggest looking at Córdoba seats 74-78.

The extra holes for inside are not there. Bucket seat cars have extra reinforcements for support welded in.

What car are we talking about
71 Polara, signature is still current.
Your avatar has a 70 polara?
It's a picture of my car, it's a 71. Maybe the lighting makes the grille resemble a 70, but certainly not. Though I did make another thread asking about 70 and 71 grille interchangeability.

1702438312025.png

Though my profile banner is of the 70 from the brochure.
I would suggest looking at Córdoba seats 74-78.
Appreciate the tip on Cordobas.
i'm assuming you have tried here already for seats.
CTC Auto Ranch
I have not actually, really good find. I've only talked to a couple people about junkyards in the region, but no one dropped any names, and it wasn't that important at the time. This looks like it'll be an excellent resource, thank you.
The extra holes for inside are not there. Bucket seat cars have extra reinforcements for support welded in.
I've heard about this, though I'm not clear on the details of how you would replicate it for bucket floorpans. Is the reinforcement unique, or is it just a sheet you could make yourself? Was curious about that.

There's some braces that double as driveshaft loops on bucket cars as well as I believe a small square of metal.

Don't put buckets in a Sedan though please. .and if you must, get the correct 71-73 C body high backs.

Anything else will look like crap.

Well I wouldn't mind a split bench either, if I can find one. I'll see what I can find at the salvage yard, likely this week. Though I am concerned with things looking good and proper, which is why I thought I'd ask for opinions on options, since there's way too many out there that would look wrong or out of place, or just ill-fitting. And thanks for the info on the braces.

Well I wouldn't mind a split bench either, if I can find one. I'll see what I can find at the salvage yard, likely this week. Though I am concerned with things looking good and proper, which is why I thought I'd ask for opinions on options, since there's way too many out there that would look wrong or out of place, or just ill-fitting. And thanks for the info on the braces.
Show us the current seat? You'll be lucky to find anything that doesn't need recovered.

Show us the current seat? You'll be lucky to find anything that doesn't need recovered.
The current seat is fine as far as condition, it came with rips where the driver sits, and on the edge of the passenger side, but have been taped over. I just don't really like having to deal with the single-piece bench of this width on the daily for various different reasons, and wanted something more manageable, or at least an armrest, though that part's not as important.

Also no pictures on me, otherwise I would've included one, sorry about that.

I got ya. There's split benches with fold down armrests, buckets. Keep searching and you'll find something that fits your needs.

Your car came from California correct? And it's FQ5 turquoise? 383-2?

Keep searching and you'll find something that fits your needs.
Thank you. Just doing what I can to make it the best all-around vehicle for my needs, since it's the only one I have that actually works and drives, so the list of things that become noticeable that you want to work on or change gets long pretty fast.

Your car came from California correct? And it's FQ5 turquoise? 383-2?
Correct, on all fronts. As far as I can tell, it's always been a California car until I bought it this year, and it is indeed a 383-2. Build sheet states FQ5, and it definitely seems to be what it is based on my research.

I agree with @71Polara383 , I would not put buckets in a sedan.

I would venture that the bench with armrest from a Monaco would be almost as comfortable as the buckets in Medina, my 1971 Monaco 2dr, and that bench (properly reupholstered) would look almost correct on your sedan, see here:

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1971 Dodge Color & Trim Book - Monaco

Alternatively, the Polara Brougham hardtop bench with armrest would be an alternative that would be correct for a hardtop (though not a sedan, as in the USA the Polara Brougham trim was AFAIK only available on 1971 hardtops):

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1971 Dodge Color & Trim Book - Polara

1707138298640.png

Last edited:
If you find a bench seat you like, I have a 'restored' power bench unit from a 72 Newport I am wanting to sell.
'Restored' means it was disassembled, cleaned and re-lubed, and got some paintwork.
That was 20+ years ago, but I checked it recently and it still seems to move OK.

If you decide to go with modern seats, (although it sounds like your car deserves originals if you can afford it), here's what I learned in the last year.
It's a little long-winded, but good info.
Modem seat install 68 Newport

I put recovered 68 Newport bucket seats in my 69 fury convertible that had a bench and used 93-02 6way Camaro power seat tracks. I intend to do a write up when I do the passenger side. The dimples in the floor pan were there so I just opened them up and drilled through the support brace. So 68 buckets will bolt up. I understand why its not being suggested for a sedan. Plus as you said original buckets are $$$. As far as GM seats the tracks don't line up but are flat so you can make adapters and NOT drill more holes in unreinforced areas. If that's acceptable to you then a whole host of GM bucket seats will fit including Suburbans and Tahoes, all from around the 93-02 time period. The same seat tracks were used with different adapters to fit the floor pans. On your way to a cool spilt bench you could probably find cheap GM seats for the time period. Sometimes people are just giving them away for the space.

1712668674868.png

from 97 suburban
1712668895884.png

Last edited:
I put recovered 68 Newport bucket seats in my 69 fury convertible that had a bench and used 93-02 6way Camaro power seat tracks. I intend to do a write up when I do the passenger side. The dimples in the floor pan were there so I just opened them up and drilled through the support brace. So 68 buckets will bolt up. I understand why its not being suggested for a sedan. Plus as you said original buckets are $$$. As far as GM seats the tracks don't line up but are flat so you can make adapters and NOT drill more holes in unreinforced areas. If that's acceptable to you then a whole host of GM bucket seats will fit including Suburbans and Tahoes, all from around the 93-02 time period. The same seat tracks were used with different adapters to fit the floor pans. On your way to a cool spilt bench you could probably find cheap GM seats for the time period. Sometimes people are just giving them away for the space
Do you have any photos of the seat you have installed?

I bought these covers from Legendary a long time ago before sport fury covers were available. 68 Newport to go with 68 seats. A longer story follows that decision but here are the 68 buckets (passenger reclines) with Camaro power seat tracks in a 69 Fury. I have the tracks all the way down cuz the new springs and seat foam has me sitting a little high for the convertible windshield.
IMG_1740[1].JPG
IMG_1335[1].JPG

Back