Original cam part # for a 72 400

Jon O.

Reaction score
Does anyone know the original camshaft part number for a 1972 400 engine?
Or, suggest a good OE grind camshaft?
I am thinking about using a new old stock camshaft in my "factory fresh" engine build to cut down on the chance of wipeout from Chinese metal. Plus I liked the very smooth idle I had with the original.
Thanks,
-Jon

2BBL cam part number is 3577181, for a factory cam.
4BBL cam part number is 3512907
In '72 400/440 used the same camshaft. You might consider an older 375 horse high performance camshaft if you are going to rebuild the engine and install higher compression pistons.

Dave

Thank you Dave. Do you know anything about cam #2532190? "The internet" says 365 horse 440. As far as I can tell, the specs are the same as Melling spd-11 which is listed as a stock replacement for 3577181. I should also mention this is a stock build 2BBL 400 with flat top pistons. Do you think finding NOS over using a Melling cam is worth my time?
-Jon

Last edited:
Thank you Dave. Do you know anything about cam #2532190? "The internet" says 365 horse 440. As far as I can tell, the specs are the same as Melling spd-11 which is listed as a stock replacement for 3577181. I should also mention this is a stock build 2BBL 400 with flat top pistons. Do you have a part number for lifters?
-Jon

The lifter P/N are the same for both cams, 3004647, 2BBL or 4BBL. The 2BBL and 4BBL engines both had a rated compression ratio of 8.2. Usually these engines had pistons that sat fairly low in the block to drop the compression. As a practical matter, most did not run over a 8.0 comp ratio and some were as low as 7.8 due to differences in the milling of the block and heads. The combustion dynamics at these numbers do not really support aggressive cams. As noted above, the Voodo 265 is one of the better choices for a low compression engine with better performance than a stock unit with performance geared to lower RPMs.

The 365 horse 440 was the '69-'70 T-Code police performance option. That engine was designed for regular gas but usually had the AVS carb as opposed to the Holley and also had the high performance dual exhaust as opposed to log manifolds. If memory serves me correctly, the 365 horse cam is the same as a standard T-Code 350 horse engine. Both ran single, un-dampered valve springs. The U-Code performance engines (HP, Magnum, TNT) ran at a rated horsepower of 375 and had dampered springs with a more aggressive cam.

Dave

The original 440/365 was in 1966, as the "TNT" option on Chryslers. Same cam and such as the normal 440/350 engine (256/260), but with the Twin Snorkle air cleaner aNd Twin Exhaust (i.e., dual) exhaust system. All with 10.0 compression ratios. FWIW

Check out the cam specs in the FSM for the particular model year at www.MyMopar.com. Where the "equivalent" cam in aftermarket brands are different is in the open/close timing of the valves, typically. Otherwise, they'd be paying license fees for using an exact copy of the factory OEM item, in many cases.

Seems like the particular Lunati is also available from some of the mail order "warehouse" speed shops at a good price? Plus has the assymetrical lobe configuration (fast open, sloow closing) for more area under the curve and more power for a given duration.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back