Out with the old, in with the new

Thanks for all the input.

In the meantime i did learn that my town does collect haz material - including gasoline - 1x/year usually in November. I did also locate 2 disposals sites in MA each about an hour away and require a scheduled appointment. PIA for sure.....but now I know and I won't need to hold onto the bad fuel too long.

The Filler neck - when i remove the tank i will take a better look at the neck and see if it needs cleaning and not replacing. No signs of it leaking....but the tank needs to go for sure. First thing first - bolts to the bumper bracket/frame rail. If i need some "heat" then I will switch to the tank so not to have a bonfire. Now that I say that - best to continue emptying the tank and remove it now since i am replacing it anyways. I suspect only 5 gals left in it (already took out 11 gal).

Thx again.

the J bolt's snapped.

Well, Ming (my '73 NYer) just had the same experience: one J bolt twisted and snapped when the old tank was being taken out, the other came out. Will replace both. Which replacement bolts did you buy? None came with the Spectra tank that I bought on your advice, so I hope to once again benefit from your experience :rolleyes: :)

PS: I have found the following at Van's and another set (with green zinc) at Detroit Muscle with the correct bolts.

Last edited:
Back