Pabst Brewery and Mansion

This is the building that was built on that site after the Pabst Building was demolished.

100 East Wisconsin - Wikipedia

100_east_wisconsin.jpg

A lot of great buildings and whole blocks demolished!

Demolished Milwaukee: Images of lost Brew City treasures

I guess there are those who argue that the old structures are no longer efficient in terms of heating, modern ameneties and so on, but to wholesescale demolish all those treasures of architecture and replace them with sterile building designs seems just wrong. Maybe we all tend to recall the past in more positive terms than is warranted, but it seems we still need some roots to cling to when design was more than efficiency and saving money and were built for visual appeal and creativity as well. It feels like we have lost a lot in this process of making everything new. But then, time moves on and there is little we can do about it too...................................its a more than a little sad.

I believe the carnage ended around 1980 in Milwaukee when people realized that we have to stop destroying the treasures of our past. It is very, very difficult to demolish any historical structure in Milwaukee anymore. A lot of scrutiny and common sense applied today.

I believe the carnage ended around 1980 in Milwaukee when people realized that we have to stop destroying the treasures of our past. It is very, very difficult to demolish any historical structure in Milwaukee anymore. A lot of scrutiny and common sense applied today.

Thank you - that is very encouraging!

Back