Paint Color Dash

Mudeblue

Reaction score
In the process of painting 1965 Sport Fury, complete restoration. I obtained a A/C dash, red, which we need to paint light blue. The question by the painter was what the finish should be; flat, satin, or gloss. The, painter and the person doing the restoration, are pro gloss. It has been already repainted a very high gloss and I am having mixed feelings. The dash is not installed in the car yet which makes a change easier. The original, which was restored in 1991, appears satin. Thoughts? Any votes discovered in the trunk of a car in the middle of the night will not be counted! Thanks.

Gloss looks bad in a mopar, especially a stock restoration.

Suede is whats it’s called. Not shiny, not even a little.
spray it on dry, not like you want it to flow out and shine.

Last edited:
It will not be gloss from the factory. The paint codes for the dash are in the rear of factory service manual, and can be mixed up by any decent paint shop.
It should be a type of SATIN finish - not semi-gloss, and not true flat.

EDIT - in the factory service manual they call it a SUEDE finish.

While this may not be correct for Plymouth Fury (it likely is correct...), the blue SUEDE finish for 66 Dodge Monaco/Polara is called ENSIGN BLUE, and the codes are:

BAC39B8 (Chrysler Code)

and

13157 (Ditzler).

Last edited:
How about 90% of full gloss (with "glossy" =100% gloss)? On the restorations I've seen where the instrument panel metal was painted (and just as glossy as the basecoat/clearcoat exterior) the outer body color, it did NOT look correct. "Correct" being what I remember things being when the cars were new or just a used car. What some might perceive to look good is really "over-restoration" and not as the factory built them, by observation.

An observed "bad thing" about over-restoration, which looks good under the lights at an indoor car show or in bright sun . . . is that the average observer then takes that as "the production standard" and "as it should be" (because they like it) . . . which is NOT accurate. FWIW Just depends upon "which game rules" you desire to play by. The other thing is the desire to "make it better", which can also be out of place. For example, the paint on the lower part of the instrument panel on our '66 Newport Town Sedan is not to the same level of execution (gloss, especially) as the paint on the outside of the car. It is smooth, but not nearly as glossy, even with wax on it.

Seems like the PPG chip chart also has interior colors on it, too? www.hamtramck-historical.com

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Seems like the PPG chip chart also has interior colors on it, too? www.hamtramck-historical.com

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

In my experience, some charts do, some don't. I went to my USA 66 Dodge FSM for the info, and wish I had access to a 65 USA Plymouth FSM... I'll look more thoroughly through my files.

The Suede finish is the way to go. I had the paint shop finish mine in satin. It wasn’t the right texture. Go online or give this guy a call right he can mix the proper suede color in a rattle can. You will probably need two. It was perfect.
8774paint1.com. It is also his phone number. Very helpful over the phone.

This is my correct color for my 68 Polara dash.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The Suede finish is the way to go. I had the paint shop finish mine in satin. It wasn’t the right texture. Go online or give this guy a call right he can mix the proper suede color in a rattle can. You will probably need two. It was perfect.
8774paint1.com. It is also his phone number. Very helpful over the phone.

This is my correct color for my 68 Polara dash.
Thanks for a great new source. I bet he can mix for redoing the engine bay on my 1972 Fury.

He was the only one I could find that knew the correct dark red color between my tail light lenses on my tail panel. Also has the different tones and textures of argent grays. Chas was his name.

He will also mix pints or quarts.

He was the only one I could find that knew the correct dark red color between my tail light lenses on my tail panel. Also has the different tones and textures of argent grays. Chas was his name.

He will also mix pints or quarts.
I'm sure he can mix GY8 gold. Not really an uncommon color.
I refuse to go GM and paint my firewall black.

It will not be gloss from the factory. The paint codes for the dash are in the rear of factory service manual, and can be mixed up by any decent paint shop.

I'm not seeing this in my FSM. Any chance the code for medium red metallic interior is in yours?

I don't waste my time anymore trying to find matching dash pad/vinyl interior paint colors. This is the only source that seems to get it right every time so far with me and in the exact finish appearance which I would describe as perhaps matte: Herb's Parts: HERBS PARTS INTERIOR PAINT, Interior Paint, PAINT

One might think the price is high but I feel it is well worth it to not have to search and search and waste time and money trying to find something matching.

I don't waste my time anymore trying to find matching dash pad/vinyl interior paint colors. This is the only source that seems to get it right every time so far with me and in the exact finish appearance which I would describe as perhaps matte: Herb's Parts: HERBS PARTS INTERIOR PAINT, Interior Paint, PAINT

One might think the price is high but I feel it is well worth it to not have to search and search and waste time and money trying to find something matching.
Oh wow, they have the Red metallic right on their color chart! Many thanks!

Back