Painting Air Cleaner

Power steering pump shouldn't be black? Cap is natural. Everything I reproduced during the resto was replicated from how it was during teardown as the car was original when I got it. The pump had black paint on it (most flaked off). The dipstick tube was natural but I painted it with Eastwood Cast Grey to preserve it. The dipstick itself was painted black so I replicated it. It's probably 95% correct and some of the items mentioned are speculation at best as I'm sure there were variances from plant to plant. This is most certainly the case when it comes to GTO's. Even though there is a published Restoration Guide for them, there are some aspects of that book that are inaccurate and not black and white. Having not been alive when the car was new and not being a C Body guy before I bought the car, I think I did a pretty good job of authentically restoring it.

I wasn't sure which cable he was referring to. The Pos Cable runs up over the inner fender and splits at the firewall, going to the starter relay and down to the starter. And yes, a black Pos Cable is correct for '65. The Neg
grounds to an intake bolt.

Dang work blocking some pictures. I thought he was refering to the original poster. As for your car I do not like to positive battery terminal covers, they look out of place on a car restored as yours.

Alan

If they want to pick one apart look at this and go at it I don't care its the way I want it and I only have to please one person ME DSC_3024.jpgDSC_3030.jpg

DSC_3024.jpg

DSC_3030.jpg

If they want to pick one apart look at this and go at it I don't care its the way I want it and I only have to please one person ME

Looks custom so there is nothing to pick apart. That being said I never liked the battery disconnects, it is easy enough to just pull the terminal.

Alan

Dang work blocking some pictures. I thought he was refering to the original poster. As for your car I do not like to positive battery terminal covers, they look out of place on a car restored as yours.

Alan

Again, they were on there when I got the car so I put new ones on.

No worries Stan. You can't please everyone all the time. I've got thick enough skin. Besides, I challenge anyone to find a nicer '65 300 'vert in the country.
I'm not dissing, i figure if i speak up and i get contradicted i also get to hear why, then i learn something new. Helps me to build my knowledge by doing so. The engine bay though is well done, but i didn't have to tell you that did I? ;)

On this car what I saw was the screw clamps on EVERYTHING and the dark blue painted power steering pump.
You do not find them that unmolested often.

Alan

I may be wrong here, but I don't think "screw clamps" are correct / stock. Is that correct ?

BTW, I used the VHT wrinkle for the air cleaner and the VHT high temp cast for exhaust manifolds and they both worked great.

Back