Parking brake cable stuck on

Asleep at the Meal

Reaction score
On my recently-purchased 1964 Imperial LeBaron, I made the idiotic mistake of engaging the parking brake prior to checking its condition (on my Imperial Crown the parking brake is fully functional). Of course, the brake now remains on (the vacuum release works correctly). Does anyone know if the cable beneath the car can be reached without lifting the car (parked in my garage)? I just want to make the car drivable so that I can have it serviced by professionals.

I used to have a 1969 Newport with a three-speed manual transmission, and I could reach the cable easily by squatting next to the left front wheel. The location seems to be different on my Imperial.

I suspect that your Imperial's parking brake is on the tailshaft housing of the transmission, rather than at the rear wheels (as on the newer Newport).

Probably might soak the cable in penetrating oil to get it to loosen up internally? BUT with the car firmly and stabile on jack stands or an overhead lift.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

It comes through the firewall and down inboard of the frame rail. So you’re getting under the car.

What did you do to the cqble by the left front wheel? it’s a sold housing and not open on the wheelwell. If it was it wojod fill with water and freeze overnight or corrode in one season.

It comes through the firewall and down inboard of the frame rail. So you’re getting under the car.

What did you do to the cqble by the left front wheel? it’s a sold housing and not open on the wheelwell. If it was it wojod fill with water and freeze overnight or corrode in one season.

I owned that Newport nearly 50 years ago, so all I recall is that when the parking brake stuck, I reached beneath the left fron fender to pull on the cable. That did release the brake.

I owned that Newport nearly 50 years ago, so all I recall is that when the parking brake stuck, I reached beneath the left fron fender to pull on the cable. That did release the brake.
Lucky that day, wouldn’t hurt to try. Do you have a service manual to show how the park brake is assembled and adjusted?

Lucky that day, wouldn’t hurt to try. Do you have a service manual to show how the park brake is assembled and adjusted?
Yes; I have the shop manual. My problem is that since I have no way to lift the vehicle or borrow a lift, I need to find a method to crawl beneath the vehicle without damaging either myself or the car (or find someone else who is not as fat as I am). I'm hoping that the cable connection is offset to one side or the other, as it was on my Newport.

Back