Parking brake problems

Reaction score
My parking brake isnt much to write home about. It can brake the car, but it wont lock and the vacuum release switch is not working or is maladjusted.
But I cant figure out if there is a switch for the brake light in the instrument panel. I cant find one thats connected to the parking brake. According to the owners manual, the light would go on if the paring brake is applied when the key is on. The bulb works, it lights when the starter turns.
Imperial 1969.

Last edited:
If I recall, the switch is integral to the parking brake pedal assembly, and may be hard to see. Follow the wire...
Hmm, I Did remove the assembly but no electric wire there. Cant find it on the wiring diagram either, just a stop switch

The lamp on the IP goes to the igniton switch and a voltage limiter

The assemby have some surface rust and I belive thats why it wont lock.

IMG_9825.jpeg

Typically, the switch that is on the pedal arm for the warning light will look like what's in the picture below. It may be blocked by the vacuum canister, or integrated in some way to the vacuum canister. The wire for the switch has a bullet type connecter that pushes into the end of the switch opposite the plunger. It may have been removed, disconnected, etc.
1693497687196.png

In the two pages below, you can see the assembly with the vacuum can etc. In the first of the two pages, you can see the switch for the parking brake pedal in the bottom right illustration. While it's not clear, that switch is mounted up near the pivot for the parking brake pedal arm, on the side facing the driver.
1969 IMP PARKING BRAKE 1.jpg

1969 IMP PARKING BRAKE 2.jpg

I was under the impression that it was an either/or situation with those. Cars with an auto park brake release wouldn't have a warning light and cars with a warning light wouldn't have auto park brake release. It would be rather pointless to have a warning light if shifting to D would automatically release the parking brake, no?

I was under the impression that it was an either/or situation with those. Cars with an auto park brake release wouldn't have a warning light and cars with a warning light wouldn't have auto park brake release. It would be rather pointless to have a warning light if shifting to D would automatically release the parking brake, no?
Yeah, but I suppose that if the realease dont work, the light will glow

Your dash brake light is dual purpose. You also have a wire coming from the Brake distribution block or Proportion valve block if you have front discs. If you have a leak or problem with either the front or rear brakes, the switch on the distribution block will send a ground to turn on that light along with the parking brake. If your parking brake releases and you still have a light on, it is more than likely coming from your distribution block down on the frame.

Your dash brake light is dual purpose. You also have a wire coming from the Brake distribution block or Proportion valve block if you have front discs. If you have a leak or problem with either the front or rear brakes, the switch on the distribution block will send a ground to turn on that light along with the parking brake. If your parking brake releases and you still have a light on, it is more than likely coming from your distribution block down on the frame.
Yes, I know. But it seems like the switch in the parking break assembly is missing. I found a hole and suspect that the switch was mounted there. I cant find the wire that connects to that switch.I
And right now Im trying to remove the parking break assembly

Back