passenger side mirror

1966 t and c

Reaction score
I suspect many of you guys have added a passenger side mirror to your cars based on the number sold on Ebay. Can anyone offer some good tips on this process. I have bought a repo passenger mirror for my 66 Chrysler T&C, not remote, just manual. A matching remote would have been great but didnt find one. I assume the door panel will have to come off to gain access, not sure how to do this, would appriciate some tips before I damage a very nice original door panel. Also, any tips on positioning and mounting the mirror once I have gained access would be appriciated. It seems like a simple enough project but I have learned that it is much easier to benefit from others experiance than it is to learn from my own mistakes! Any information would be appriciated.

There is no passenger side remote mirror. Just a manual passenger side mate.

If you bought a manual mirror that is the match to your drivers side remote mirror, you do not need to remove the door panel.
It just mounts from the outside with two screws.

You should have a plastic gasket that goes under the mirror.

You also need to make sure that you mount the mirror in the right place so that the vent window can open and not hit the mirror. Get one of your kids to sit in the car and open and close the vent window while you holde the mirror in position. Once you've got your mirror as close to the edge of the vent window pivot area, back it off a 1/4" just to be sure. Use some masking tape to mark the leading edge of the gasket, then mark your holes with a pencil. Carefully use a punch to lightly create divots for your drill bit so that it won't skip across the top of the door.

Here's a pic of my 66 T&C with the passenger side mirror installed.
pass side.jpg

You may find the mirror is essentially useless because the adjustment capability doesn't allow the mirror to be tilted in enough (inside the housing) to allow you to see the area of the road behind/beside the car. I had to find the very rare wedge gasket that tips the mirror up a bit and even then it wasn't great. So, as I've done on my other cars I found a convex mirror that was the same size as the glass in the mirror and glued it on - now it works great!

On my 68 Dodge Monaco 500 I matched the drivers side mirror position. As mentioned above it is marginally effective but I have it oriented somewhat down and just outside the fender. Comes in handy to see painted lines when backing into parking spaces.

Back