Passenger valve cover removal

algershick

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a locked up 413 in my 64 New Yorker and I think I'm going to have to pull the heads to see what I'm working with. I'm struggling with removing the passenger side valve cover (pinned under the heater box). Is there an easy way to remove the cover without a bunch of other disassembly?

It should come off. You might need to rotate it clear of the rockers. If that does not work, remove the anchor botls from the opposite side motor mount and place a jack on the opposite side pan tail to slightly rotate the engine. That should give you enough room to remove the cover.

Dave

Does it have factory A/C? That adds more bulk to the pass side of the box. Non A/C should the valve cover should come right off.

the 60-64 BB motor mounts are a different design and hard to find. Floating Power. Different for short wheelbase and long wheelbase. Maybe someone has done something oddball with them?

Does it have factory A/C? That adds more bulk to the pass side of the box. Non A/C should the valve cover should come right off.

the 60-64 BB motor mounts are a different design and hard to find. Floating Power. Different for short wheelbase and long wheelbase. Maybe someone has done something oddball with them?
Yeah, this is a factory A/C car. There's a lot in the way! I'll take another look when I get home tonight.

This car is 100% complete and unmolested. I'm trying to free it up as lazily as I can without tearing it apart. Which, as I type that out is completely ridiculous because at a minimum I'll pull the motor to replace gaskets and clean/paint.

From what I can see of the rockers under the valve cover, this is the cleanest old beast I've ever owned. Not a hint of sludge, it appears to have at least had the oil changed regularly. It's been off the road for 32 years and is extremely dry on the top end. I pulled the distributor to take a look. The shaft is rust free but was locked up as well until I lubed it and worked it a bit.

I'm going to continue to soak cylinders and hope for the best.

20220705_182230.jpg

Last edited:
You can take this front housing off that has the heater core inside and then the cover should come off. There are bolts around the perimeter.

4D5CADAA-82B4-45A3-A2E8-F1058575B518.jpeg

Hear hear, I've also removed the portion of the heater core housing to remove the valve cover.

It is possible to remove the valve cover without removing the heater box.

Just some colorful language and patience is needed if you go that route.

Back