Passon overdrive 4speed

Bench Seat

Reaction score
Anyone using the Passon overdrive 4 speed (not the 5 speed) ?
I do a lot of back road cruising and with my 3.91 rear 3rd gear is usually just right.
I'm worried with the wider ratio gearbox 2nd will be too high and 3rd (now 1 to 1) will be too low for those situations.
Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes...I have Passon overdrive 4-speed in my 68 sport fury. Awesome gearset! I have mine with the standard 3.23 rear axle ratio. My 383 pulls awesome even in overdrive. I pulled a long 6% grade coming into Asheville NC in overdrive at 70 mph without secondaries kicking in. She sucked some gas through the primaries though. Only drawback is the gearset is a bit noiser than the standard new process gears....but they are ALOT more meaty.

I haven't, but what are the details on your engine and weight of your car?

Lunati Voodoo 256 cam, standard HP manifolds, 440 source heads, zero deck engine from the factory...pistons come up to the deck of engine.
I'd have to go reread the 383 stock to radical article but even with the manifolds you should be more like 375hp vs 330 for 4bbl, maybe more

That is probably correct...I also have borla mufflers and h-pipe on the exhaust system. Engine pulls much much stronger than when I bought the car...but it had a worn timing chain and the camshaft showed wear. Still original short block with pistons, rings and bearings from engine build at Trenton plant in 1967. 155-160 PSI compression on all cylinders at 120K miles.

1965 Fury III, about 3800lbs.
Mild 440, around 450 hp and 530 tq.
I read another post from someone with a 3.54 rear that said at 40 mph was tough to find a sweet spot between 2nd and 3rd but a higher rear would likely solve that issue.

I have a 833OD trans in a '68 Charger with 3.23 gears. Overdrive is taller than Passion gear set. I do have a confused spot 45-55 mph in 3rd or 4th.

The 833OD was designed in the 70's for 225-318 applications. I don't recall the numbers, but I think 1st gear is 3.09 or so to get launch with the lower hp engines, and big drop to 2nd. the passion set has more of a close ratio set up.

I also have a Passon, 4 speed, in '68 Newport, 440 - bored / stroke to 541 cu in , Dana 60 rear end with 4:10's
Been to the drag strip a couple of times, lot's of fun in 1,2 and 3rd....(107 mph, 12.97 - if I new how to launch would be better)
Very happy with it, Jamie is a neat guy - stated no one has ever broke one.

Noise - in my case, 3" exhaust don't hear much....

His story on the 5 speed is neat....

1666056999632.png

1965 Fury III, about 3800lbs.
Mild 440, around 450 hp and 530 tq.
I read another post from someone with a 3.54 rear that said at 40 mph was tough to find a sweet spot between 2nd and 3rd but a higher rear would likely solve that issue.
In those cases let it rev. You probably have plenty of tq to lug it down if you want to however

Back