Patina or no?

If the car overall cleans up well I would leave it alone.....that's what I have done with my wagon. It's got an repaint from the mid to late 80's, but polished up nicely enough. After restoring my 68 coronet 'vert with a high quality paint job and the paranoia of always worrying about the paint when not under a cover in the garage, I actually prefer a "not so nice" paint job and restoration, less hassle and worry about a potential knock, dent, scratch etc.

For me, "patina" ends when the primer is showing through, original paint or not. But, since you have been here nearly 4 years and have never posted a photo of your car, no one can really give you an opinion on your car.
:poke:

Last edited:
I'm just going to detail mine. I'll wheel out the paint, chrome cleaner on the bumpers and drive it. I kinda like the not too perfect look and don't have to worry about where i park it too much.

Rust is not Patina, this is not patina
1990-10.jpg

this is the two layers of primer on factory cars, there is no copper paint left on the roof.

Some thin spots in the paint, ok.

For me if a car is real nice and will buff out and take a coat of wax I'd look at keeping it. Thin spots and all, rust needs to be eradicated repaired and touched up even if the repair doesn't match.

This is a car that with some touch-ups could have been a nice driver.
2009-11-21_08.jpg

but the rust would have to have been fixed.
2009-11-21_07.jpg

2009-11-21_21.jpg

Alan

There are more pics on the welcome Forum from when I joined, I think on page 6
Thanks, as I remember now.
Is your 300 GB9 or TX9? From some photos it looks black and others show it to be more of a very dark blue?

Since your 300 overheats, you probably should pull the radiator and have it rodded out too if it is still in good shape. If the heater core is bad with so few miles on the car, I have to wonder if the antifreeze was changed in all those years? In Michigan, I would have thought that would have been routine just to ensure adequate freezing protection.

My car has some rust, not patina. My intentions are to tend to the dents, scrapes and rust in a few years. I can live with driving and enjoying it this way for the time being. If I wasn't able to enjoy it for the time being I would probably loose heart. What really helps is that the little buggers really enjoy it.

I think you should save yourself some trouble and cash in on your inheritance by selling that car to me since it has just been sitting in your garage since last summer. I like that blue color and I am sure there are a lot of other things you would rather have by using the money than messing with that huge problem! :poke:

Steve,

do you want to talk about selling cars because they are just "sitting"?

Which old Mopar will you drive to Spring Fling?

Carsten

Thanks, as I remember now.
Is your 300 GB9 or TX9? From some photos it looks black and others show it to be more of a very dark blue?

Since your 300 overheats, you probably should pull the radiator and have it rodded out too if it is still in good shape. If the heater core is bad with so few miles on the car, I have to wonder if the antifreeze was changed in all those years? In Michigan, I would have thought that would have been routine just to ensure adequate freezing protection.
I need to check the heat riser to see if that is frozen from sitting all those years and yes, the anti freeze was never changed while sitting all those years. I flushed it last fall and it ran fine until I tried the heat then it over heated and anti freeze was dripping from the heater core. I'll eventually get it figured out.

I need to check the heat riser to see if that is frozen from sitting all those years and yes, the anti freeze was never changed while sitting all those years. I flushed it last fall and it ran fine until I tried the heat then it over heated and anti freeze was dripping from the heater core. I'll eventually get it figured out.

Maybe by opening the heater core to coolant flow, you unleashed a bunch of rusty sludge that clogged the thermostat and/or the radiator. You might want to bypass the heater core again, flush the system otherwise and then install a new heater core and go from there. Otherwise, you might send some rusty sludge back into the new heater core if flushed again after the installation.

Maybe by opening the heater core to coolant flow, you unleashed a bunch of rusty sludge that clogged the thermostat and/or the radiator. You might want to bypass the heater core again, flush the system otherwise and then install a new heater core and go from there. Otherwise, you might send some rusty sludge back into the new heater core if flushed again after the installation.
Thanks....I will try that and see if it works

No point in restoring some of it with no intentions of restoring the rest. All or nothing .....

Not sure I agree....

I LOVE the look & smell (is that weird?) of our beloved 70's classics! I'm on the hunt for, but don't yet have, my 'gotta haves' vehicles.

I think 'restoring' is a matter of perspective. Even if I had the coin to do so, I'd not chase Barrett-Jackson level restoration (or flawless new). I want it to be 'as it was' whole and complete as can be. So she got rode a bit and it shows? I'm down with that! I think that sorta 'rode in' effect adds to its character. But I WOULD try to repair any dents or rust.

'Cash for Clunkers' broke my heart!!!

Not sure I agree....

I LOVE the look & smell (is that weird?) of our beloved 70's classics! I'm on the hunt for, but don't yet have, my 'gotta haves' vehicles.

I think 'restoring' is a matter of perspective. Even if I had the coin to do so, I'd not chase Barrett-Jackson level restoration (or flawless new). I want it to be 'as it was' whole and complete as can be. So she got rode a bit and it shows? I'm down with that! I think that sorta 'rode in' effect adds to its character. But I WOULD try to repair any dents or rust.

'Cash for Clunkers' broke my heart!!!

This is what I saw within the question. ... Polishing chrome or even rechroming bumpers. Pulling off stainless and polishing and re installing possibly over rust, bubbling or chipped paint.
No point in restoring seats and leaving a dry rotted carpet . I wouldnt pull a dash frame to restore it only to re install a cracked dash pad.

See where im going?

This is what I saw within the question. ... Polishing chrome or even rechroming bumpers. Pulling off stainless and polishing and re installing possibly over rust, bubbling or chipped paint.
No point in restoring seats and leaving a dry rotted carpet . I wouldnt pull a dash frame to restore it only to re install a cracked dash pad.

See where im going?

Gotcha. Yep. I'm where you're at. I'd bring the car back up to the same standards throughout...wherever that bar may be.

Back