PEX crimp rings - is there a plumber in the crowd

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I've never used any PEX stuff previously and I'm getting ready to start doing an install of an outdoor wood boiler. There are so many different crimp tools available and with such a price range. How does one make a decision on the tool to purchase.

Everything I'll be installing will be 1". I've made the decision to do crimp verses the ring style because they can be removed without cutting the line.

Does anyone have a tool recommendation. I don't like to buy cheap tools, but I'm also not in a position to but top shelf either.

Thanks guys.

I suggest mid price. The most expensive are made for professionals who put a lot of miles on them. The cheapest are made to generate revenue for the store. You need to be confident you are getting the right amount of crimp on that ring.

I've never used any PEX stuff previously and I'm getting ready to start doing an install of an outdoor wood boiler. There are so many different crimp tools available and with such a price range. How does one make a decision on the tool to purchase.

Everything I'll be installing will be 1". I've made the decision to do crimp verses the ring style because they can be removed without cutting the line.

Does anyone have a tool recommendation. I don't like to buy cheap tools, but I'm also not in a position to but top shelf either.

Thanks guys.
A good crimping tool ASTM F2098 Will cost about a 130 bucks. It always works and will last you a lifetime. Its really handy in tight spaces .

Definitely don’t buy a cheap one. Buy the best you feel comfortable with dollar wise. The higher priced ones just work better but mid range is okay.

When I lower my standards and use PEX ( just kidding ), I always use the Pureflow system with full bottoming SS rings. However, you can not cut those without shortening the line some and ruining the fitting, but you should always have some slack in a pex run anyway. The tool of choice is a cordless Milwaukee that accepts whichever type of Pex heads for the rings you are using, i.e. Pureflow heads.

Back