Photo of Factory Pinion Snubber 1965 Fury 4-Speed 8 3/4 489 Case

Pinion snubbers used to be quite common in some drag racing classes. Might even be some pictures in the appropriate Mopar Performance catalog?

Remember, too, that a pinion snubber can make the rear suspension "bottom out" sooner. Rather than use the center snubber, also extend the outboard snubbers so that they all contact the rear axle items at the same time, not just the center part.

"Length"? It was usually more concerned with "height" and the distance between the rubber part and the "crash pad" on the vehicle's floor pan.

As rear suspension "science" evolved, it was more abouit "shocking" the rear tires with sudden applications of torque at the starting line. With an automatic transmission car, trans brakes and pinion brakes were usually applied and then suddenly released. 4-Link rear suspensions might have worked better than leaf springs for these things, possibly? As the links would not deform as the leaf springs would end up in an S-shape when all of the torque was released.

On leaf spring cars, as things evolved, it became popular to take the clamps off of the rear of the leaf springs, to allow the rear section of the springs to separate under torque, at the starting line. Quite a sight to see the rear leaves have more than 1" between them at launch! Don't know that I'd do that on a car that usually sees "street time"?

FWIW,
CBODY67

Thank you CBODY67..but it is really easy, I mean about such a thing:

875snubber.jpg

My apologies if I might have read too much into your request, triggered by the "4-speed" notation, which I presumed to mean you were going to drag race the vehicle. Rather than seeking an image of the normal, stock item.

My apologies,
CBODY67

Snubbies are proof that Mopars were very advanced vs the competition with their traction bars, ladders bars, etc.

Just a quick bolt on, effin genius.

There are many different types of snubbers. Length and stamping ridges, etc. a vendor at Carlisle had about 25 of them out on a tarp, was quite a sight having them side by side.

The 489 housing started for the 1969 model year. A 1965 couldn’t have one from the factory.

It was more than a quick bolt on there is a reinforcement in the floor for that snubber to hit.

Then the Dana 60 which is a truck axle needed to have the boss cast, machined, and holes threaded into the center for the snubber to bolt on. So now we have a design change at Dana spicer and specific sheet metal to be welded into the floor.

Last edited:
The snubber on my 65 belvedere measures about 8 inches long and 4.25 inches wide. I will try to attach pics but if they won't, you can pm me and i will try to email them to you. Everything is under snow so the pics are far from ideal.
That will give you some idea of what was used in 1965.
The one buried is snow is 1965 belvedere, the other is a 1963 plymouth savoy. Both cars were slant 6-spd manual trans. They are identical, and I am sure all were the same in that year no matter what engine was in the car.
snub1.jpg
snub2.jpg

@413 - I am not sure if my car has the reinforcement of the floor you spoke of - I will check with interest. That may have been something that came later than 66, or was a B body thing...
Can you post a pic of that reinforcement?

I hope this helps. My car is a '65 Sport Fury. Factory automatic (Tremic 5-speed now). I'm not sure if the support is different for a stick car, so here's some pictures of mine while it was on the rotisserie, before and after cleaning it. You'll see it doesn't really standout in the before picture and could be missed going under a complete car on jack-stands. The square and round holes are for a nut clip that holds a bracket (just a straight piece of bar stock) for the brake line that the brake hose connects to. Look for your brake hose mounting point and you may find the floor support.

The car was right side up in first picture and left side up in second picture.

thumbnail_IMG_6230.png

IMG_6229.PNG

Last edited:
Here is a b-body I had out. See the outline of the support piece is simular to above.

30A2E04B-F836-4D57-93D3-88724BFFE79C.jpeg

EE5E716B-1531-40C2-A45C-70D9564C9561.jpeg

Back