Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

2A0C92E0-963A-47A5-A210-AC5B1FAB20C1.jpeg

Some happy customers of mine in 1993

Going back to OKC dealerships, this eBay seller has a number of very nice photos that he makes from originals. AFAICT, they are reproduction of photos in the public domain.

Here is another photo of the Chrysler dealership in my above post -- what a beauty!

1661974505504.png

Here is another dealership in OKC, Greenlease Moore (Cadillac and Chevrolet):

1661974920249.png

And here is a period photo of the Shamrock, TX gas station that I started in the OP:

1661974809912.png

Back in 2019 I visited the Packard Museum in Dayton, OH which that was once the location for the dealership. The museum has is displayed as if it was an actual dealership when in business.
The cars on display are either loaned to the museum or have been donated.
Inside there is a large room dedicated to Packard memorabilia, as well as a sales manager office, waiting room and garage area made to look as it did in the 1920's.
Packard1.jpg

Packard19.jpg

Packard11.jpg

Packard13.jpg

Packard9.jpg

Packard2.jpg

Packard17.jpg

Packard10.jpg

Packard4.jpg

Packard21.jpg

I cant find this building here .. i have put it here at least twice before. Several searches are not turning it up.

The former Michigan Central Depot, built in 1913, fell into disrepair and often used to reflect Detroit's urban decay. Lots of plans - demolish, reuse, demolish, film movies there (2002 "8 mile" movie, 2007 "Batman v. Superman" movie, etc.,) for over 30 years since the last AmTrak train left in late 1980's.

historical photos: Michigan Central Station - Old photos gallery | Historic Detroit

Then Ford Motor Company bought it about five years ago .. one of country's largest reclamation/reuse of an historic structure. Seems to be going pretty good, and the whole project (including the depot) costing almost $1 Billion.

1930's-50's - the "Heyday". Back (south side) of the building where trains were, then the front (north side) of the building

map.png

map0.png

2010 -- after years of decline, windows gone, roof nearly gone, almost every bit of copper in the place vandalized...
map.png

About 2018 -- after Ford started on project. Put the windows back in, get it electrified, pump water out of a 60,000 sq. ft. sub-basement nobody knew was there - then fill it with concrete to stabilize the building, and all the gargantuan tasks to renovate/reclaim this 110 year old building.
1661991478986.png

The Future - again the backside (North direction to the left) where the trains were, then the front (looking south to Canada across the Detroit River)
map1.png
1661992509322.png

2022 - Four years In. about 2:30 minutes from a local TV station about 8 months ago

Last edited:
Vintage Chrysler Corp dealership pics

One of my favorites revisted .. but not a happy ending for reuse. Distinctive appearance of dealerships as I remember them in the 60's. BIG street signage that grabbed your attention, giant window showroom walls, etc.

First 1966, then 2011 when it might have had a chance as a vacant building to become something else, then 2021 land reuse but the building gone apparently finding no alternative usage as a structure. Location is 16213 County Rd @ Roberts, Los Gatos, CA (near San Jose)

1662035395584.png

map.png
map1.png

Stumbled across this.

One local publication, just in one city -- Great Barrington, MA (The Berkshires) -- looked around at all the things that used to be car dealerships but have found "adaptive usages" as different things.

Recall changes in auto dealerships overall the past 25 years. All the various restructurings with the American manufacturers unraveled what have been a staple of the dealer footprint.

A bunch of small stores in lots of places all over the country were closed, and then these sprawling, standardized stores came into vogue. You needed really deep pockets to build such a place as a dealer .. lotta folks didn't have it.

Anyway, look around any city big or small at the local real estate. Even if you are not from that city, betcha you can spot architectural cues on certain buildings that are something else now that likely once were a vehicle dealership.

Some will be obvious, others less so due to additions/demolitions one the site.

Nine examples and "what they were before" follow just from one small town in MA in this article from 2018.

source: Bygone car dealership buildings find new uses

map.png
map1.png

map2.png
map 3.png
map 4.png
map 5.png
map 6.png
map 7.png

1662039451191.png

Last edited:
Going on in another thread with @PeugFra @Big_John @68 4spd Fury contribution below

Exclusive Plymouth Dealers

1523 South Salina St, Syracuse NY .. a distinctive architecture converted and reused many times since the 1950's per eyewitness reports. :)

I added the last two photos from 2022 to see if it was still there.

If I passed this building's architecture it yells out "vehicle dealership" -- a curiously-shaped front end that looks altered (odd little windows, non-matching brick), connected to a "big box" backend.

1662045863238.png
1662045954509.png
1662046128387.png
1662046376781.png
1662046480820.png

Going on in another thread with @PeugFra @Big_John @68 4spd Fury contribution below

Exclusive Plymouth Dealers

1523 South Salina St, Syracuse NY .. a distinctive architecture converted and reused many times since the 1950's per eyewitness reports. :)

I added the last two photos from 2022 to see if it was still there.

If I passed this building's architecture it yells out "vehicle dealership" -- a curiously-shaped front end that looks altered (odd little windows, non-matching brick), connected to a "big box" backend.

View attachment 555559View attachment 555564View attachment 555565View attachment 555566View attachment 555567
That section of Syracuse has gotten a little "rough" over the past 60+ years.

To give you an idea, this is the Sears store a little farther down the block. It has sat vacant since 1974.

1662047902071.png

My high school was a little farther down the road. Vacant since 1975. The vocational section in the rear (where I spent most of my productive time) is still going.

Automotive content... The replacement school was built where the Franklin auto factory was.

1662048037514.png

The Franklin factory in better times

1662048628863.png

The Brown-Lipe-Chapin factory was down the street from the Franklin plant. This place is still standing and has been renovated.

The place was built in 1906 and designed by Albert Kahn, who went on to design Henry Ford's factories amongst others. I understand a duplicate of this building was built in Detroit.

It was one of the first buildings with reinforced concrete construction.

1662049217313.png

1662049265487.png

As I understand it (I've read a few versions of the history), they expanded to a larger building across the street. Another reinforced concrete building with 21" think floors. It became a GM plant in 1933 and then the home to Porter Cable and then Rockwell when P-C was bought by them. It sat vacant for a bunch of years, too expensive to knock down. It was then bought and renovated. My business was in the 4th floor of that renovated building, at the corner shown in the last pic.

1662049577345.png

The Marcellus street side of the GM plant. We were just above the added on structure (now gone) and if you ever read the Porter Cable history, we were one floor below the bowling alley for employees.

1662049983707.png

Maybe not so vintage
Lompoc, new Chrysler dealer about 2003
D1.jpg

That lasted about 3 years
D2.jpg

About 6 years later someone tried again just around the corner about a 1/4 mile away, its fate wasn't much different, about 3 years, currently vacant. This location didn't even have a service bay, that was across the street at the Honda dealer (same owner)
D3.jpg

2018, the interesting thing is where the hotel to the left is was a Ford dealer new about 2003 and torn down about 2006
D4.jpg

Alan

When built in 1923, it was the second largest office building in the United States. The Albert Kahn-designed General Motors Building, former GM world headquarters. When GM bought a skyscraper in downtown Detroit (about three miles south of this location), they moved out in 1997.

Located at 3044 W. Grand Blvd in Detroit, it is 15 stories tall, in four "wings", sheathed all in limestone, and has 1.4M square feet.

Today, the building is called "Cadillac Place" (named after the founder of Detroit in 1701) and reused as the home to many State of Michigan offices. Nearly 100 years old, still going strong

source: Motor City Landmark: The General Motors Building

1662053880819.png

1922 - Opening Day, with the iconic "General Motors" signage that stayed up until late 1990's when GM moved out
1662054064843.png

1950's
1662054207176.png

Today as Cadillac Place, GM signage obviously gone. Outwardly looks the same as it was when built.
1662054296206.png

Ford Motor Company's plant in Highland Park, MI (essentially a former city outside Detroit that finally become enveloped by the growing city). Another Albert Kahn-designed facility, built in 1910, it located at Woodward Ave @ Manchester.

Part of a large 100 acre complex, 60 acres was enclosed factory space under roof, there was also two administrative offices (one is still there) and a power plant (long gone)

It was the largest complex in the world at the time it opened and the location of the first assembly line in the world (building the Model T). All kinds of other automotive manufacturing history was made here .. truly helped create the world as we know it today.

Today, kinda empty, and would be obsolete as an vertically-integrated industrial complex 100 years later.

A lot of structures have been razed, but the four story, 40,000 sq. ft. office building on Woodward easily visible though a little beat up (somebody used to conduct tours of whats left of the site) but I don't believe much else is going on (could be wrong - havent been there in a decade).

Some of the area around the site is getting built up, but Highland Park is still a "tough" neighborhood in the immediate vicinity.

source: Highland Park Ford Plant - Wikipedia

1910's-20's The complex

Top photo is southwest looking toward northeast. Woodward is main drag cutting diagonally across bottom on photo. The two admin. buildings and the powerplant are facing Woodward.
1662055462924.png
1662060933982.png
1662055576127.png
1662055782475.png

1970's - northwest part of complex. facing Woodward Ave. where remaining admin. building stands.
1662056600037.png
1662058859456.png

Today - What you can see from Woodward Avenue by the remaining admin. building. Take Pegman back there and a few things remain but a lot of stuff it gone.

Take Pegman east on Manchester and some of the original buildings that have reused are still there. Looks like somebody is trying to preserve the office building and part of the factory right behind it.

The Green box is the two -structures right off Woodward, the Orange lines show the area that to be full of factory buildings. The LONG Green line is Manchester ST.

The site is bounded by Woodward Ave (west), Conrail RR Lines (north), Oakland Ave. (east), and Manchester (south).
1662059139172.png

1662057897271.png

map0.png

Last edited:
Another Albert Kahn building, the Ford Rotunda.

1662061312901.png

I went though this with my parents, just a few months before it burnt in 1962.

1662061338648.png

I have considered something like this for a long time. Never stopped moving around the world to stay in one place long enough. Retirement approaches so maybe i have chance.

This is a gas station converted to a private residence. As these are peoples' homes most addresses are not listed. If it was shown, I would not list it anyway.

I had this idea a few years back for a place in Clawson MI .. I put it here somewhere but again can't find it. I gotta look it up again and see what became of the building.

Anyway, a lotta dough put into this joint .. my place would be a little less stylish and probably have space for couple vintage cars. Reuse projects I am told tend to consume a buncha lettuce ...people wind up spending remodeling funds they saved from not building a structure.

I think I have to put a pool table where the red "cat" is ...

1662077754473.png
1662077777087.png
1662077794912.png
1662077812217.png

I had this idea a few years back for a place in Clawson MI .. I put it here somewhere but again can't find it. I gotta look it up again and see what became of the building.
well, it still available .. just like it was five years ago.

The issues back then 1. environmental, and 2. zoning.

Used to be several types of automotive business (gas station originally, auto repair businesses, and most recently a body shop. All sorts of stuff could have been spilled there. Also, zoned commercial so that would preclude it from becoming a "residence".

Not handled five years ago, current listing says environmental has been addressed "depending on usage". That means theres still a problem for certain businesses. And then zoning still commercial.

Built in 1936, 4,400 sq ft, some 16 ft, most 11 ft.. Mostly open space, bathroom, some offices, etc., but not suitable for a residence (assuming zoning could be worked) without a buncha work and lettuce at least equal to property asking price.

Could park a bus inside though..:)

Probably still not to be .. but I am gonna keep looking for something.

map 7.png
map0.png
1662080875608.png

Back