Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

Building the Chrysler exhibit for the 1964 Worlds Fair in New York City

_nc_ohc=fPY9_HO_EncAX_TszFt&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg

sanders 1.jpg

Harland Sanders owned this gas station in Corbin KY. In the 1930's he added the motel & restaurant. This is where he developed the "Secret Recipie" that made him famous as the Colonel. The motel & gas station are long gone, but the restaurant has been restored as a museum with a modern KFC attached.

Sanders Cafe Corbin KY 04 13 2019 a.JPG

This would be local to me in Warners, NY. They tore this down many years ago to widen the corner it sat on.

_nc_ohc=fiw7Gj_hsr0AX9UggmG&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

Still more Australia.

I'm trying to figure the pavement. At first, I thought this wasn't real.
ohc-a1k8avus7tuax_fpdwg-_nc_ht-scontent-ord5-2-jpg.jpg

View attachment 589086

Jack Davey's Ampol Service Station, Surfer's Paradise, Queensland, AU. Gone for half-a century, it WAS on Beach Road in Surfer's Paradise (where the Continental Hotel is now).

Davey was a rather famous local character and Mopar racer.

58701__94725.1371883876.jpg
_nc_ohc=v5u15XQzgygAX-zGjzC&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

JY094.jpg
1680103652852.png

Gold Coast circa. late 1970's
G1258.jpg

Today
1680103907210.png

1680105090725.png

1680104005650.png

Richard Nixon with five year old polio victim Carol Vitiello in part of a fund raiser for the March of Dimes. Nixon actually used to work at a gas station.

This hit a little close to home... My sister contracted polio in 1957. She recovered except for a slight limp when she was tired. Post Polio Syndrome hit her in her last years and I think it shortened her life. The March of Dimes funded the Salk vaccine that changed everything.

_nc_ohc=7j0Zhf2GuvIAX9E3e7h&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=UEKDRu80l7QAX9PkS3V&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg

Industry, Illinois

Closed in 1960 and everything except the windmill was demolished.

_nc_ohc=x5fF5WIUfRcAX9sNfmU&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=qSClYppG6wcAX95jXX6&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg

At the former address above, its smack-dab in middle of downtown Atlanta. If that's true, no way its still there.
I've tried to track down some of the locations and found that many addresses just don't exist anymore. It could be changes in street names or numbers. I know the house I grew up in had 3 different, but close numbers over the years. Streets get widened and intersections change too.

I've tried to track down some of the locations and found that many addresses just don't exist anymore. It could be changes in street names or numbers. I know the house I grew up in had 3 different, but close numbers over the years. Streets get widened and intersections change too.
I grew up in rural western PA and we didn't even have a house number until after I moved out in the late 80's. It was all RD "Rural District" addresses. RD2, Shaw Road was my address growing up. LOL Postal employees had to know their routes back then.

1680114496637.png

This street name, that city .. tough thing to pin-down sometimes if one aint from 'round there. :).

Anyway, like some of us, if I can find the original address, I look for the current status of the location too, hoping some interesting/unique architecture remains/repurposed.

Back