Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

_nc_ohc=9q2JR7v-J-YAX_McWpN&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

Not much architecture here in this auto-related segment. The automatic car wash. People deep into this debate when/where the FIRST one was -- I am staying out of that.

They didnt start as "automatic " (assembly line style -- chain drags car through, nozzles, spinning brushes, hi speed air dry, etc.) .. they were all manual labor start to finish.

circa. 1920's, location unknown but typical of first car washes taking the shape (drive through a building).
FLW 99.png

Alleged first one was in Detroit in 1914, cost $1.50 (that's like $38.00 today). Also alleged the first "automatic" was also in Detroit.

Paul's Auto Wash, 541 Fort Street, Detroit, MI. Built 1947, mid-century moderne, glazed porcelain exterior, neon signage you could spot from outer space. Gone at least 20 years now.

Not sure when the Fort St Location closed and was torn down (its now a parking lot). As a lad, even as a yuppie professional working downtown Detroit in early 1980's. I went there.

Paul's had maybe 10 locations around Detroit .. when the population with cars moved to the suburbs, so did Paul's. There may be a couple left. The downtown location catered to a bustling urban area .. execs, and other people working downtown after the war until downtown emptied out.

All over Detroit, the carcasses of closed, dilapidated, converted-from-something-else carwashes & detail shops are as ubiquitous as phone booths USED to be. Probably the same in other urban areas (Chicago I know for one).

sources: How it All Began - An Automatic Car Wash History and More, Paul's Auto Wash, Paul's World's First Automatic Car Wash 14 x 10 - David CLEMENTS Productions,
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago...shers-converging-on-chicago-to-celebrate.html

circa, 1960 to about 1985
tumblr_my261l9FTv1sctz5bo1_500.jpg

pauls-car-wash*750xx450-600-0-0.jpg
ds-First-Automatic-Car-Wash-300-dpi-14-x-10-marked.jpg

Today
1679236127331.png
1679237050524.png
1679236191139.png

Not much architecture here in this auto-related segment. The automatic car wash. People deep into this debate when/where the FIRST one was -- I am staying out of that.

They didnt start as "automatic " (assembly line style -- chain drags car through, nozzles, spinning brushes, hi speed air dry, etc.) .. they were all manual labor start to finish.

circa. 1920's, location unknown but typical of first car washes taking the shape (drive through a building).
View attachment 587804

Alleged first one was in Detroit in 1914, cost $1.50 (that's like $38.00 today). Also alleged the first "automatic" was also in Detroit.

Paul's Auto Wash, 541 Fort Street, Detroit, MI. Built 1947, mid-century moderne, glazed porcelain exterior, neon signage you could spot from outer space. Gone at least 20 years now.

Not sure when the Fort St Location closed and was torn down (its now a parking lot). As a lad, even as a yuppie professional working downtown Detroit in early 1980's. I went there.

Paul's had maybe 10 locations around Detroit .. when the population with cars moved to the suburbs, so did Paul's. There may be a couple left. The downtown location catered to a bustling urban area .. execs, and other people working downtown after the war until downtown emptied out.

All over Detroit, the carcasses of closed, dilapidated, converted-from-something-else carwashes & detail shops are as ubiquitous as phone booths USED to be. Probably the same in other urban areas (Chicago I know for one).

sources: How it All Began - An Automatic Car Wash History and More, Paul's Auto Wash, Paul's World's First Automatic Car Wash 14 x 10 - David CLEMENTS Productions,
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago...shers-converging-on-chicago-to-celebrate.html

circa, 1960 to about 1985
View attachment 587814
View attachment 587815View attachment 587816

Today
View attachment 587811View attachment 587813View attachment 587812
This image came to mind...

and its story is here: Auto Wash Bowls of the Roaring 1920s

Chicago-Auto-Wash-Bowl-1924-1-1024x771.jpg

Honestly, car washes have always fascinated me. I still remember my Dad stopping at the car wash and us getting out to watch the his '57 Windsor get chained up and pulled through the wash. It's one of my earlier memories.

I have a contract for my daily drivers that allows me to get them washed any time they're open. It's almost as much fun as it was when I was a little kid.

my then seven year old daughter, now 34 and literally a "rocket scientist" today, announced she wanted to be a "car wash lady". Why?

I was a company car driver with a duty to keep the sleds clean .. I would crack the rear windows when we went through the drying section .. both my girls thought it was a hoot .. scary fun like an amusement park ride.

When I was growing up it was strictly buckets in the driveway -- more water on us than the car. I didnt get into automatic washes until I was a wage earner in mid 70's.

Even then, I "lost" (about 1977 or so, it was a joint just like the movie about the same time) a perfectly good set of Appliance Cross Wires (the virgin aluminum got "etched" by the chemicals) to whitewall cleaner (prolly an early version of "Bleche-White) at an auto wash. And many a radio antenna!

They had to be wheeled out professionally after that.

Last edited:
I was a company car driver with a duty to keep the sleds clean
Another story to tell... LOL

When we fired our head salesman, I needed another car, so I grabbed his Impala. It was probably three or four years old... The car was filthy inside and out. I mean really filthy... The guy never ran it through the car wash, and his dog must have lived in the back seat. It was disgusting. First time in it, my wife was with me and she had an asthma attack. We had it professionally detailed with at least a couple days worth of the ozone generator in it to kill the smells.

I said something about hiring him back just so we could fire him again....

94f496435fb408e37ac304615918c808-jpg.jpg

"Googie" architecture, a So. Cal. take on steamline/mid-century modern ("space" age, "jet" age, etc.) , 1950's-1970's.

Participating in this thread, I have seen the style/term come up a lot .. thought it had something to do with "Google". It does not. It was an LA coffee shop, built 1949, demolished 1988 - 8100 Sunset Blvd.

source: Googies Coffee Shop - Wikipedia

A bunch of eateries, and car washes/gas station combo shops, ALL over America, are in the "Googie" style. Link has about a dozen of them in LA area. Prolly many repurposed/ demolished past 30 years.

Sources: George Tate | Carwashes - POBA, Mid-Century Modern Car Washes | RoadsideArchitecture.com

Including this one. Euclid Car Wash.

circa: 1970, 1135 N. Euclid St, Anaheim, CA
16-1024x603.jpg

Today - Still there. 50 years later.
euclida.jpg

Last edited:
A "googie" dealership.

Originally Lew Willams Chevrolet, 2020 Franklin, Eugene, Oregon. Built 1960, still there.

source: Lew Williams Chevrolet Dealership (an Oregon group interested in documenting/preserving the "Modernist" (post WWII era) architecture movement, or which "googie" is a part.

circa: 1960
1679414571163.png
lew_williams_03.jpg

Today - Google
1679414607945.png
1679414788533.png
lew_williams_05.jpg

1679414833380.png

Last edited:
A tale of three dealerships -- three buildings that is. Art deco, mid-century "googie" style, now a "brand-box'.

Original Vandergriff Chevrolet, 220 N. Center Street, Arlington TX. Built 1928, arat deco, historical structure, repurposed/subgidvided as office space.

sources: The Vandegriff Building – Way Cool, Inside & Out, Vandergriff Chevrolet Center and Texaco service station, Arlington, Texas

circa: 1930's
oldphotobuilding-300x167.jpg

circa: late 1940's .. a tire store and a Texaco on the site somewhere. Looks like corner of Center @ Division St.
10003187_0.jpg

Today - Arlington's oldest commercial building (city's governmental policy was to demolish structures that "outlived their usefulness").

If you may have noticed, a LOT of HVAC/Electrical work is needed in these pre-WWII building restos. Just check out the ceilings .. not just "open" for aestetetics .. needs ductwork of ALL types, and in some jurisdictions $$$ asbestos/lead paint remediation.

Many a building resto gets economically defeated by the updating costs to modern usability. Its defeated my modern "hobby house" plans several times (acquisition + resto costs = legacy debts to my children at our current ages. Crikey!)
1679418756497.png
1679418280024.png
1679418057302.png
1679418433933.png
1679418607468.png

Vandergriff stayed in town, built a "googie-like" mid-century moderne building in Arlington somewhere (original address I could not locate .. its been torn down nearly 30 years).

They saved the iconic "V" in an Arlington park ("Vandergriff Park". prolly near were this Chevy dealership was).

Vandergriff's "third" Chev. building is a modern Chevrolet "brand-box" like any other dealer around the country.

sources: Texas Car Showrooms & Dealerships | RoadsideArchitecture.com, Vandergriff Chevy Values | Vandergriff Chevrolet Services | Arlington TX

circa. 1960's-1970's
5hD86bufdA6RikGAYqh_ubQ4GIkFHs3nXj8PgAQQE&usqp=CAU.jpg
vanderg2.jpg

Today -- all thats left of the mid' 1960's building and then the ongoing business structure. there may be other franchises in this group in the area.
1679419485812.png

0bea0870803bfdc9a9a47735b5db5880x.jpg

Last edited:
Back