Poly 4 barrel intake

Zibby

Reaction score
Can anyone knowledgeable about Poly 318's tell me if this is a 318 poly intake. Seller states 1955 to 66, 303/318 poly intake. I'm considering this purchase for my 66, poly318 Fury3. Hoping my uploaded pics come thru.
Mopar 1-_n.jpg
Mopar 4-n.jpg
Mopar 7 n.jpg
Mopar 2-n.jpg
Mopar 3-n.jpg

The casting number shows as Plymouth 56 and 57 in the parts manual. That would make if for a 301 or 303 engine. It should fit the early 318, you might compare the port sizes.

That manifold fits the '56 fury with the "power" package poly. As noted above it should fit the 318 as the block profile is the same.

Dave

That carb is a WCFB. They can work just fine, parts and kits are expensive. You will not change it to and AFB, Holley or carterbrock without an adapter. IF an adapter is even made, I have idea if they make it.

The bottom heat shield is gone, and it should be there. It might be the same on a 2bbl intake. It will heat and burn the engine oil splashing up on there. You may disregard this but it will shorten your engine oil life drastically.

Last edited:
It is the earliest of the poly 4 bbl intakes and, as stated, won't accept any carb larger then the Carter WCFB. The heat shield is missing which will cause fuel evaporation issues.
The performance on your 318 would be disappointing.
There are two other versions of the poly 4bbl intake, 59 & 60 with a generator mount provision and 61-62. Both will accept AFB carbs. No 318 power pack engines were produced after 1962.

DSC01519.JPG

To me, the missing heat shield for the exh crossover passage is a minor thing. The amount of "stalagtites" which will accumulate will vary with the brand of motor oil, by observation. Not a major deal.

Will a small pattern AFB fit where the WCFB goes? Just curious if it was the base bolt pattern or the throttle plate sizing that prevented the use of an AFB? I suspect the WCFB has about 500cfm flow at best, but I could be wrong.

Are the accessory mounting points on the '66 motor different from the '56 motor? Enough to prevent the earlier manifold on a later motor?

The main performance issue I see would be the right angles in the port runners, from the plenum to the cross-runners to the ports. Are the later versions the same way?

Might be best to chase one of the earlier '60s manifolds? RockAuto shows the same intake gasket kit for non-Chrysler Poly engines from '56-'67. Which would tend to negate the port size issue, I believe.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info, the crossover plate is there, picture with it on did not upload. looking into it further on whether this 4 barrel option is worth while for my 66 318. Their asking price for this setup was $600. My first Mopar and I'm learning a lot about this Poly, great Forum.

Thanks guys for the info, the crossover plate is there, picture with it on did not upload. looking into it further on whether this 4 barrel option is worth while for my 66 318. Their asking price for this setup was $600. My first Mopar and I'm learning a lot about this Poly, great Forum.

That is a fair price, especially if the carb is included. AFB manifolds can go for $800.00 with out the AFB. I really don't think you will be happy with the performance of the WCFB. But what do know? I've only been around these setups since the mid 60's.

Back