Positive Battery Cables Without Ring Connectors

JM_ART

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m having a bit of a problem locating a positive battery cable that has a ring connector for the post on the starter relay, near the battery on my ‘68 New Yorker. I ordered a Delco cable from summit, but it had a different connector, as did the Standard brand cable I got from a good local parts house. So, what to do?

The wire for the large starter relay post looks to be 10 gauge. I know I can put a ring connector on it to mount it in that post, but is that wire gauge sufficient for that connection? I’m also running 10 gauge, and 14 gauge fusible, to bypass the ammeter. Many thanks in advance for your answers and help!

For 65 - 68 (in various configurations depending on where the relay sits), the feed wire to the relay looks to be a 10 gauge here but I can't be sure, as shown in this picture of the various reproduction positive battery cables:

808-247_708-026-2.jpg

I would expect a decent aftermarket cable (non factory-style reproduction) would have a proper gauge wire and terminal sufficient for the job at the relay.

Can you show us a pic of what you got and why therefore the question?

For 65 - 68 (in various configurations depending on where the relay sits), the feed wire to the relay looks to be a 10 gauge here but I can't be sure, as shown in this picture of the various reproduction positive battery cables:

View attachment 398532

I would expect a decent aftermarket cable (non factory-style reproduction) would have a proper gauge wire and terminal sufficient for the job at the relay.

Can you show us a pic of what you got and why therefore the question?
Hi Ross, thanks for responding. Here’s a photo of the Standard brand cable. You see the connector (circled) isn’t a ring connector, and that’s what I’m asking about. Can I just remove that, and put on a ring connector for the large post on the starter relay without causing a problem? Thanks!

14A1D9DC-34E3-47C3-8D23-670929671BFA.jpeg

You csn put your own ring connector there.

The OE 68 C body battery cable is available as an exact repop but for an insane amount of ca$h.
The gauge of wire is fine since you did the bypass.

The OE 68 C body battery cable is available as an exact repop but for an insane amount of ca$h.
I was hoping I would be able to do that, thanks! Yes, I’ve seen the prices for OE, or exact reproduction cables. Waaaaay out of bounds for me, I’m afraid. As long as I can put a ring connector on this one, and it doesn’t cause a problem later, I’ll be happy. Thanks again!

As cbarge said you can put a ring terminal on there and be fine. Or do you have a local shop that specializes in batteries. My local battery shop made me a brand new cable with red insulation instead of the generic black. All I did was take the old cable into them, 20 minutes later I walked out with a new cable. It cost a little more than $20.

As cbarge said you can put a ring terminal on there and be fine. Or do you have a local shop that specializes in batteries. My local battery shop made me a brand new cable with red insulation instead of the generic black. All I did was take the old cable into them, 20 minutes later I walked out with a new cable.
Another really good idea which I never thought about. I can cut the existing connector and add a ring on the wire, that’s no problem. But it would be great to have one that looks a bit more like it came from the factory, especially if it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to get it. Cheers!

Another really good idea which I never thought about. I can cut the existing connector and add a ring on the wire, that’s no problem. But it would be great to have one that looks a bit more like it came from the factory, especially if it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to get it. Cheers!
I'll try to remember to snap a picture f mine tomorrow.

The gauge of wire is fine since you did the bypass.

I made up my own by buying the needed raw materials for less than 1/4 of the price.
No one has commented about this since pretty much nothing is factory wiring on the car anymore.

Butt connectors are functional but ugly IMHO unless you can remove the yellow covering insulator & replace it with a good quality self sealing shrink tubing to extend the cable which I believe you will need to do in this case.

Back