Power Steering mounting bracket question do over.

Dsertdog

Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note.
Reaction score
After reading a couple of other threads on early power steering brackets, I realized my pump had been adjusted wrong.

The bushing was missing, so I'm going to place an order for one.
20220811_110219[1].jpg

Now another question arises. Although everything appears to be aligned, the bracket that mounts the pump to the water pump housing appears to be mangled. This can't be normal?

Last edited:
It looks warped for sure, but may be remedied with some good surfaces and plenty pressure. Or, you might go junkyarding. I like that option often.

After reading a couple of other threads on early power steering brackets, I realized my pump had been adjusted wrong.

The bushing was missing, so I'm going to place an order for one.
View attachment 550756
Now another question arises. Although everything appears to be aligned, the bracket that mounts the pump to the water pump housing appears to be mangled. This can't be normal?
Agree. Abnormal
1660251667025.png

Its good to know vendors who stock replacement brackets for TRW pumps. I have a pair of serviceable original brackets and that rebuilt pump from a 59 DeSoto does quite well with Gertrude, so I'm happy for now and some time to come on this issue.

Just a tip for folks that go with the TRW aftermarket pump brackets for big block 66 and up ;
You will need a different size belt.
I use a Goodyear Gatorback 15411 or equivalent if you cross the numbers.
I had done 4 of these "upgrades" and the brackets are by far much better than the sloppy originals.

20220327_075703.jpg

20220327_075504.jpg

I started flattening out the bracket and discovered a crack. Frell! It's got rust in it, so it's been there a while.

20220812_074413[1].jpg

20220812_074433[1].jpg

My question for @cbarge, do the aftermarket steering brackets work with A/C
Classic industries show the same bracket but states it's for non A/C cars
However....when I look at @TxDon's A/C conversion, it appears the Bouchillon bracket would work with this P/S bracket.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I started flattening out the bracket and discovered a crack. Frell! It's got rust in it, so it's been there a while.

View attachment 551035

View attachment 551036

My question for @cbarge, do the aftermarket steering brackets work with A/C
Classic industries show the same bracket but states it's for non A/C cars
However....when I look at @TxDon's A/C conversion, it appears the Bouchillon bracket would work with this P/S bracket.
Any thoughts?

Weld up that crack if you like. Do you know how to make thermite? That powder makes an easy weld if you just dab a LITTLE on the spot needing the weld. If you don't know that trick, get a welder or hit the junkyard. I like the old brackets.

Back