Power steering pump bracket freed - almost

tvaluke

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So after putting off the inevitable job that I knew would surely be laced with all kinds of language, I finally decided this was the weekend to deal with a stripped pwr. Steering bracket bolt (lower one btw). I was able to get the pump off, get the top bolt out, and much to my surprise, get the stripped bolt turning by using a ‘grabber socket’. Then, as it turned, it got about an inch or two out and just stopped coming out no matter how much more turning I did.
I soaked it in all kinds of penetrating oil, Worked it with vice grips, a screw driver a hammer, turned it while applying pressure from behind and there it sits just taunting me. Next - heat?
Open to suggestions
IMG_7243.jpeg

I would pull the rest of the water pump housing bolts out and try to get the housing off. I'm thinking that if you have managed to get the bolt out that far, you are probably out past the block and it's stuck in the housing.

Even if the bolt is still in the block a touch, a little heat might help get it loose. Possibly cut the head off the bolt to get the pump completely out of the way, but that's kind of last resort because you lose that head to turn the bolt.

Be prepared to install a Heli-Coll in that block hole... Which is easier than it sounds.

I would pull the rest of the water pump housing bolts out and try to get the housing off. I'm thinking that if you have managed to get the bolt out that far, you are probably out past the block and it's stuck in the housing.

Even if the bolt is still in the block a touch, a little heat might help get it loose. Possibly cut the head off the bolt to get the pump completely out of the way, but that's kind of last resort because you lose that head to turn the bolt.

Be prepared to install a Heli-Coll in that block hole... Which is easier than it sounds.
Thanks John- and yeah I was worried about those threads… so thanks also for the suggestion on remedy!

If the pump will come out it will be easier to get the rust buster juice in there and you will be able to apply a lot more removing pressure to the bolt.
May need to use a home brew bolt and sleeve remover between the block and pump. Or cut the bolt head off, remove the pump, rethread the old bolt all the way down and pull the old bolt it out with spacers under the new nut.

Back