Power steering pump mount.....nutz

I have not gone over all of the references yet, but does anyone have pointers to the rubber bumper.....mine totally gone, so I used a piece of hose in there. ....

Here you go! It's called the PS pump snubber, FWIW. Power Steering Pump Snubber for 1960-1968 MoPar C-Body & Imperial | eBay A lot of cash ($10) for such a little thing but HEY! it lines the bracket up perfectly, and they last a long time! I've seen bits of wood, (not so good), inner tube (best improvised soln) or metal welding the bracket rigid (most stupid) all on these brackets, but having used ePay and Google for years, I've trained their search bots to find **** I need quick!

Get this one. It's worth it and actually helps. I clean up and restore my old self adjust brackets now. Easy to do. If missing the pivot rod, one can use a long 3/8"-16 bolt there, or even all-thread.

P.S. Saw it here for a little less: Power Steering Pump Snubber for 1967-1968 MoPar C-Body & Imperial

Years ago I shoved a small block of wood in there to take out the slop (had no long-term ill effedts)
Then I learned the actual engineering, so I now fit some rubber in there.
Be aware that the pivot-point of this bracket may be an issue nowadays - the hole in the bracket could be worn oversized.
But TBH, unless the metal is ready to tear thru, I doubt it matters much for the yearly mileage our cars get.

I reworked one of these pump setups recently, and cut a piece of heater hose, didn't like the result, and stuffed a piece of fuel hose in there to stiffen it up. (like a big Ho-Ho)
You can cut length-wise slices out of the hose to 'tune' it also.
Just make sure there's some squish to it and it'll probably be fine?

Yes, I agree with you that nowadays there is likely to be a hole worn in the pivot point of the bracket that makes this setup a problem in the long run unless they had strengthened that pivot point somehow in the design. Personally, I would rather replace a couple belts rather than deal with the pivot point wearing and opening up, so I personally do not see this as a great engineering achievement.

I am skeert to try a used one....am looking for rebuilder or rebuilt or replacement new, like Cardone. But, I can tell you that there are a lot of options, many of which say they should fit, but obviously will not. So, may just send mine off. And no, thru the grease, I think all nuts were std. But, many were more than a turn loose, and the grease, it was a leakin. Amazing. But this is like the front wheel bearings....what idiot would put the locks back on with the hub totally loose and the nuts more than a turn out......I dont know.
I would personally suggest never using anything rebuilt by Cardone - their rebuilds are junk to say the least most every time I have tried one. Never again. Any other rebuilder would probably be significantly better..............................

Thank you one and all for great help. How in heck did you guys find this little trivia stuff. Unreal....I could not even find info on priming my new Edelbrock AVS, and you guys have all of this on a rubber snubber. I dont think I would have tried to search on snubber.....but, again, live and learn.

.... How in heck did you guys find this little trivia stuff. Unreal....I could not even find info on priming my new Edelbrock AVS, ....

Comes of the School of Busted Knuckleblood w graduate work @ the College of Computer Search Bot training. The former makes the topic memorable to our aging psyche, the latter of our own frantic searches. As much as I've come to LOATHE Google since Schmidt departed the CEO helm, it does very well at advertising for crapitalists, which is after all Google's business. Ergo, the Unholy Trinity of Google, eBay and Amazon CAN be trained to find stuff for the Moparian Seeker. And thus did I stumble upon this MOST excellent Forum nearly 7 years ago now.

Comes of the School of Busted Knuckleblood w graduate work @ the College of Computer Search Bot training. The former makes the topic memorable to our aging psyche, the latter of our own frantic searches. As much as I've come to LOATHE Google since Schmidt departed the CEO helm, it does very well at advertising for crapitalists, which is after all Google's business. Ergo, the Unholy Trinity of Google, eBay and Amazon CAN be trained to find stuff for the Moparian Seeker. And thus did I stumble upon this MOST excellent Forum nearly 7 years ago now.
If you search with DuckDuckGo you will not get all the ads and will not be tracked. Works for me. Lindsay

If you search with DuckDuckGo you will not get all the ads and will not be tracked. Works for me. Lindsay

I use them for a select few searches, and am WELL aware of tracking and spy bots, be sure of it. I don't have DuckDuck TRAINED for commercial searches. I can even boot TAILS if I REALLY want privacy.

Truth is, I seldom give a ****, though this isn't to say "never." I've been battling spooks since my early teens, because spooks sure as **** plot to do me dirty, and HAVE. The first time pigs drew heat on me was my early 16th year in a shopping mall in Metairie, La. Half a dozen Metairie pigs surrounded me and drew, in the middle of the shopping mall. My MOTHER saved me from extermination by armed morons that day, coming up on the scene, duly concerned. There wasn't a damned bit of justification for it either, aside from my vague resemblance to some other soul they lusted to murder.

By then, I already was TOO well aware of spooks though. It's Family Tradition, as Bocephus sings.....

With your knowledge of research, you should be a spook, speaking from experience.

I had Lares rebuild my pump (thru Rockauto) about 5 years ago and it has been great. I Put on a new Snubber too.

With your knowledge of research, you should be a spook, speaking from experience.

Oh, they TRIED HARD, DAMNED HARD, to blackmail, twist, bribe, seduce and drug me into joining them. Nothing doing bro! Finally, after over 20 years of my "HELL NO!", they realized I meant it, blackballed me from ever earning a paycheck in this State, City, and likely the country, but God provides for me all the same! "They" don't like Him. As soon as I started showing signs of wanting to return to the Ancestral Faith, that's when the Spooks turned on me for life. I've met a pair of them who were still sniffing my arse as recently as 2008, one an old assassin, the other a little cleaner, both pretending to be back in the Faith, but I'd already been warned about the old hit man, so I steered clear. Saw that one this yr, now VERY old. Hell! I'm OLD now!!!! Tempis Fugit and TANJ. (in THIS world anyway...)

I had Lares rebuild my pump (thru Rockauto) about 5 years ago and it has been great. I Put on a new Snubber too.

If I need a thorough rebuild, I might use Lares, or just send them a core. Mind you, these pumps really are EASY to rebuild. I have ALL the Right Tools now for the job, right here. Having an old U.S. made 20 ton press is HANDY! :D

So far, with recommendations, I have discussed with both Lares and PowerSteering.....and will have to flip a coin I guess.

So far, with recommendations, I have discussed with both Lares and PowerSteering.....and will have to flip a coin II guess.
I think Lares has a longer history and a larger market share, though this doesn't recommend them of itself. Often, the contrary comes of commercial suck-cess.
Check the balance on your coin I reckon, then flip.

Good point.....I need lots of stuff, but have not yet found the for sale site here....will look now. Have searched the ebay for one with little luck there. thanks

Good point.....I need lots of stuff, but have not yet found the for sale site here....will look now. Have searched the ebay for one with little luck there. thanks

eBay sometimes pops out a big TRW pump, which is how I got the old treasure from a '59 DeSoto for our '66 for $85. Admittedly, I've seen NAUGHT of these since October, which is why I wound up resealing the '68 pump I installed a few weeks ago, thus far with good results and little leaking from the gear box, none from the re-sealed pump. Look on Rock Auto, and email them for the big TRW from Lares. WHEN it becomes available, JUMP on it! I actually got the reply; LARES PRODUCED ONE, after I didn't need it.

I'm waiting on a turn signal switch for the Saginaw non-tilt steering column from Shee-Mar now, the 107, but I see this ugly flipper ***** on eBay who grabs them all and flips them at near double price. Maybe some sky rocket will fly up her nether orifice tonight and give her a New Years BANG she deserves....

I think there is enough here to see the pump design....std two piece mount with snubber, and you can see the vertical return fitting on the reservoir. Nothing on the engine side of the pump. Pressure fitting on front side of the outboard top of the pump. Shaft size is roughly 11/16 with hole, 1.2 pump I think.

engine.jpg

Back