Power steering pump replacement

Zaggart

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

One more thing to replace before the Fury is 100% operational and leak-free (for now) but even though this appears to be an easy swap I thought I'd better verify a few things. I know it will take 3x longer than expected, regardless.

- Is there any trick to releasing belt tension or does that happen just by removing the bolts holding the bracket to the engine? The FSM is full of great minutiae but doesn't have any crayon drawings for folks like me. I do have the proper pulley removal tool once it's off.
- The pump is re-manufactured so I picked up a filter to splice into the return line as recommended in other threads. That's the smaller line near the back of the pump that doesn't use metal hose fittings, correct?

Any other tricks? In my mind the belt and pulley will be the toughest, then just fill 'er up and do the side-to-side wheel lock thing a few times to get the air out and it should be good to go. 30 minutes tops! LOL, yeah right..

Thanks!

PXL_20220624_112811618.jpg

I recently replaced mine. I don't recall having any problems other than the rebuilt pump had the o-ring pinched and leaked big time. Very straight forward, shouldn't give you any difficulty. You may want to flush the old fluid out of the system, but that's easy too.

Thanks for the info! That's kind of what I'm afraid of also as it's a Cardone reman and apparently they're more miss than hit. I did have the system flushed by my mechanic (hence the leak discovery) so I got that going for me at least.

I think there are a couple of types of brackets, so some may be different, but mine has a square hole that you can stick a 1/2" drive breaker bar into to get leverage to tighten the belt.

Got this replaced yesterday along with the return filter (flow arrow pointed at the steering pump.) However. I noticed that the clear/yellow Prestone fluid (ps not atf) I added is slightly milky yellow even after wheel-locking the system more than a dozen times. Is this likely air that will work out over time or did I somehow introduce water into the system? There are no leaks as far as I can tell..

Got this replaced yesterday along with the return filter (flow arrow pointed at the steering pump.) However. I noticed that the clear/yellow Prestone fluid (ps not atf) I added is slightly milky yellow even after wheel-locking the system more than a dozen times. Is this likely air that will work out over time or did I somehow introduce water into the system? There are no leaks as far as I can tell..
Good work!
What filter did you choose?

Your fluid color is normal enough. I too had little bubbles trapped in the Prestone PS fluid after flushing out the old stuff, slapping the steering system back and forth plenty and pouring a gallon of fluid through to flush it all well. It will settle and the bubbles will pop out after a little run-in. Was your pump a TRW or Federal? I couldn't quite tell from looking at the pic above. I scored a 1959 TRW for my rod, changed out the return hose fitting for the '68 when I transplanted it and have 2 filters, one inline, the other at the return, and thus far it leaks maybe a teaspoon per month if driving daily. Reman pumps CAN be a good score, or utter crap. For $80, we won big-time with ours!

I got the Cardone filter from Advance Auto but unfortunately the Cardone reman pump (federal) has turned out to be crap as well since it now whistles/whines randomly even after being bled. I was going to let it go until I noticed this one is starting to leak too. I have a brand new one from BBB Industries via RockAuto coming this Thursday, I'm hoping for better luck now that I can laugh about it and am not making up new words.

I got the Cardone filter from Advance Auto but unfortunately the Cardone reman pump (federal) has turned out to be crap as well since it now whistles/whines randomly even after being bled. I was going to let it go until I noticed this one is starting to leak too. I have a brand new one from BBB Industries via RockAuto coming this Thursday, I'm hoping for better luck now that I can laugh about it and am not making up new words.

BBB does FINE with their stuff! Cardone be Car-NONE, for anything more complex than those steel screen filters for a return line. Yes, I bought one too, as it was the ONLY thing I could find for a 5/8" return line. I HATE giving those cheats money too! BBB actually makes some effort beyond cleaning up external surfaces on a part and calling it "rebuilt" which is precisely what Cardone, and other fronts for chinese hustlers do. Such behavior keeps totally with their "ethics" too, and it does no good to argue with them.

Back