power steering pump

jrm

Reaction score
I have a 62 dodge 880 361 motor, trw power steering pump, where do I get a rebuild kit for this?
Has anyone replaced it with something a little easier to get parts for? If so what car did you get the pump n brackets from.
Thanks, john.

Man I must have some hard questions! 2nd one and no advice.
Haa john.

Firm Feel suspension rebuilds pumps....but not cheep.

You might want to show a photo of your pump so we can identify it better. There are not a lot of guys on this site that have models that old, but there are some like me that do. But even I am not sure who the vendor was of my pump on my 1962 Chrysler 300. But NAPA usually has rebuilt parts for these older cars when other auto parts stores do not. For your 1962 880, they are showing this pump is available but you would have to install your reservoir from your current pump. NAPA usually has good quality rebuilt parts. Does your pump have that feature where it tightens up against the belt when there is steering load, but otherwise releases belt tension some?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-w-o-Reservoir-Remfd/_/R-PNB385098_0431953343

Thanks, its a trw pump, long slot, I ordered from napa but the next day there was no availability of the pump, they also could not get the rebuild kit. Got most of it apart and will replace parts as needed.

I converted my '66 from the old Federal pump to Saginaw by combing junkyards for a compatible bracket setup from an '69 thru early 70s big-block car (doesn't have to be a C-body). My '69 Coronet R/T had exactly the setup I wanted as factory-issue, so I just duplicated it. There's another layout that positions the pump to share a belt with the fan and reduces your belt count from 4 to 3 (assuming AC so you have a matched pair turning the alternator and compressor), but that requires your engine to have a drilled boss that I guarantee you a 361 won't have. :p

Saginaw installation visible here:
104_3688_zps46d6c2ec.jpg

thanks magnum thats good info, i will have to search around to see whats out there.
john.

I did the Saginaw conversion on mine as well, using the belt-over-fan-pulley mentioned by 440 Magnum. As can be seen in the photo, The drilled bosses mentioned aren't needed.IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

perfect, thanks for the pics, I am new to this car and mopar so learning.
John.

I did the Saginaw conversion on mine as well, using the belt-over-fan-pulley mentioned by 440 Magnum. As can be seen in the photo, The drilled bosses mentioned aren't needed.View attachment 66078

I should have been clearer: the boss (its on the front face of the block near the oil pump) is needed when you have AC and the fan belt is forward of the paired belts.

There are few thing on Mopars that change seemingly randomly from model-to-model and year-to-year... but belt routing and accessory mounting is one of those things. Endless permutations.

Back