Power window question

Imperial dude

Reaction score
1964 Imperial, are the power window motors left and right, or it doesn't matter?
I've slowly been getting the windows to work , the front windows roll down when you push forward on the switch (which seems backwards to me) and the one rear I've gotten working rolls down when you pull back on the switch
Since the wiring harness only plugs into the motor one way, I wondered if the motors are left and right?
Or any other ideas why the controls are different between the front and rear windows?

Might double-check the wiring schematic to see if somebody might have done something to the connector, or just to verify that the wiring is correct.

The motors are reversible, as is normal, but the wiring connector and mounting flange might be unique to each side of the car, possibly? Check the wiring schmatic to verify the correct color codes and their placement in the connectors, for good measure.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I'd check the wiring at the switch and motor against the wiring diagram. Also, one of the switches could be turned 180°, probably the one for the rear window.

There are rights and lefts.

Then let me ask this, on a 64 imperial should the windows roll down by moving the toggle towards the rear or front? Back down/forward up seems logical to me

Then let me ask this, on a 64 imperial should the windows roll down by moving the toggle towards the rear or front? Back down/forward up seems logical to me
I haven’t had the pleasure of using the windows in my ‘64-‘66s enough to know(sad really) but I would assume they should work like the ‘67s in that you would pull back on the switch to roll them down. The harness plugs in the doors near the motors are T shaped so there’s no reversing the way the switch operates at that point and really the same can be said for the master switch in the driver’s door as that harness only plugs into that group of switches one way and they aren’t really treated as individual switches. how are the individual switches working in the other 3 doors?

Back