Prevent Rust on Exhaust Weld Joints

RKC

Reaction score
Is there a product that can be painted on joints welded together on exhaust systems to prevent them from rusting out? Mufflers and pipes last a long time but the welded joints seem to rust out fast. Thanks!

Seems like Eastwood or similar sold a product names "Calyx" for painting cast iron exhaust manifolds so they would not rust? Might take a few coats and heat cycles to get it baked on?

CBODY67

Interested... I asked my local stainless steel exhaust person, and they said they weld in stainless, so the welds don't rust. It takes a different setup though...

...or he was just feeding me a line of BS.

I went to a car show about 12 years ago with one of my cars. Next to me was an elderly man with a 1950 ford and the hood open. His exhaust manifolds looked great in a dull silver color. I asked him what he did to look so good. He advised me to use "Anti-Seize". This would be brushed on liberly, start the car to operating temperature, then let cool a day. I have done this since and touched up as needed.

Interested... I asked my local stainless steel exhaust person, and they said they weld in stainless, so the welds don't rust. It takes a different setup though...

...or he was just feeding me a line of BS.
No BS. Just have to use the right materials and keep it free of contamination from any ferrous metals. I'm not a welder though so I can't tell you specifics.

I don't think the OP is using SS pipes though.

Right - for some reason I made that assumption. It was late at night! Lol...

Yeah, regular non-stainless exhaust systems rust, and there's little to be done about it unless you coat the pipes with something, and make sure they get heated up enough to dispell the moisture inside them.

My next systems will be stainless. Pay a lot, never replace due to rust. Even thought you've confirmed @Big_John that stainless welding is real, I will NOT be welding any parts - I will use stainless clamps and put them together the way they were intended, with the proper balljoint flanges (already bought and in my stash) in the middle etc.

I have heard that stainless pipes need to be not over expanded when putting them together where they're clamped, because the stainless doesn't recompress the same way as the softer less brittle regular pipe material does. Just enough to slide over the downwind pipe. Too much and you're going to have a problem with leaks. I've also heard that the stainless pipe clamp threads can gall if one doesn't get it right the first time.

Stainless generally uses band clamp instead of the u bolt clamp that smashes the pipes together.

Stainless generally uses band clamp instead of the u bolt clamp that smashes the pipes together.
1cdig0.jpg

On the issue of stainless steel exhaust pipes, are they louder in sound than normal steel pipes? Just curious.

CBODY67

Reason I was wondering is that in the later 1980s, I was at a Mopar club picnic and a couple was in a recently correctly-restored C-300 or 300-B. I was standing back from the car, on a rise. When they got into the car to leave, I watched and listened. They said they'd put a stainless steel exhaust system on it from a noted vendor. When that car fired-off, it was loud and sounded like a race car to me, rather than the normal quieter exhaust. I suspected the mufflers were "stock" too. Still, it was much louder than I suspected it should have been if the only change was the pipe materials. It didn't strike me as a "loud" from just a louder muffler.

Just curious,
CBODY67

Well, I find your question has some potential truth behind it, since I am a musician. Wind instruments (which have many similarities to an exhaust system), all have varying tonal qualities which are in part dependent upon the material the instrument is made from. A trumpet made of brass sounds different than one made of silver, or platinum... even when played with the same mouthpiece (where the initial tone is generated that the instrument modifies and amplifies). So it stands to reason the same results might occur with an exhaust system.

In regards to the whether the mufflers for the C-300 or 300B were "stock", in my humble and uneducated opinion there's no way a stock muffler at the time for those cars would have anything but a very slight rumble to it, by design. As I'm sure you agree, since its intended market were well-heeled buyers, it was a luxury car with power, not a muscle car, so anything loud would be considered gauche. I expect the mufflers were not stock. Whether that was exacerbated by the system being made of stainless is something only a comparison test would indicate. All other elements of design (sizes, diametres, pipe thicknesses and component construction techniques etc.) would have to be identical.

Well, I find your question has some potential truth behind it, since I am a musician. Wind instruments (which have many similarities to an exhaust system), all have varying tonal qualities which are in part dependent upon the material the instrument is made from. A trumpet made of brass sounds different than one made of silver, or platinum... even when played with the same mouthpiece (where the initial tone is generated that the instrument modifies and amplifies). So it stands to reason the same results might occur with an exhaust system.

In regards to the whether the mufflers for the C-300 or 300B were "stock", in my humble and uneducated opinion there's no way a stock muffler at the time for those cars would have anything but a very slight rumble to it, by design. As I'm sure you agree, since its intended market were well-heeled buyers, it was a luxury car with power, not a muscle car, so anything loud would be considered gauche. I expect the mufflers were not stock. Whether that was exacerbated by the system being made of stainless is something only a comparison test would indicate. All other elements of design (sizes, diametres, pipe thicknesses and component construction techniques etc.) would have to be identical.

Well, that's all good and fine, but what about a flute...one time....at band camp?

You've got to put the correct intonation on those words, but by now, that's a given. Almost like you're trying to inhale while you say them?

...or he was just feeding me a line of BS
SS filler rod is used for TIG welding and SS wire is used for MIG. Never rusts.

Stainless steel does not conduct heat as readily as steel, so more heat stays in the exhaust stream.
The task of a muffler is to quiet the sound, and all the various construction methods (glasspacks, chambered, reverse-flow, etc) do this by taking energy out of the flow.
So I suspect it makes the exhaust cooler at the same time. So SS would keep the exhaust hotter, with more energy in it.

But - I doubt it makes enough of a difference that the human ear could ascertain the difference.

FWIW, I have an aluminized X-pipe setup on 1 car that is prolly 20 years old, welded with Mig wire, and no rust-thru at the joints.

Back