Proposed change-out of 383 to 440 in 69 Polara convertible

Change out the original 383 on a 1969 Dodge Polara convertible for a custom 440?

• Total voters
Well unfortunately c body cars are not as appreciated as they need to be. modifying that particular car to have real power might drum up more recognition to c body cars as collectables as they need to be. The suber bee sticker garbage just makes it loon like a coronet wannbe. There needs to be a following to save the c body cars. The african american car community saved tbe full size chevys with "donks" and spend thousands on them so mild custom chryslers are better than none

451 stroker would surpass old 440 but who knows the mechanical skills or cash this guy has. To ayailars dismay i recommend a dodge 488 v10 with tremmech transmission. Now that is non disputable for a big dodge.

Screenshot_2019-04-04-00-32-19.jpg

Well the extreme mods are not mandatory. I use and always have used my mopar power. I always owned an old c body big block since i was 15. Unless they have police package they need mods. Lets be honest. Keep the original parts in storage. But to unleash the power you need to change certain parts and thats that

Yank the stripe ... it's sort of a travesty that someone would f*** with the line of that lower trim by adding that. That's one of the hottest things I've ever seen roll out of a factory.

I'd be inclined to leave it a 383. I've had a two small block C Bodies, one rather stout 440 and my 383 (which is admittedly tired). In the end I find the 383 4bbl a very nice in between and really good for cruising. That being said, I've spent all my tire burning chips .. it's just not that important to me.

That is a really nice vert, there. Best of luck with her.

I respectfully differ. You don’t have to have a need to compensate, or to swing something, to want to accelerate fast from standstill or to pass quickly at speed. Gearing will deal with the former, not as much with the latter. Speed limits have no bearing on those little pleasures.

IMHO, it is the OP’s car to do as he wishes, but he’s asking, so I am all for keeping this beautiful original as is. At the same time, I understand where he’s coming from. But if speed matters to him more than preserving a very rare original open top, then the OP should either get a second car with a big engine (if funds allows) or sell this ‘vert and replace it with a high powered car. I am sure there will be interested buyers (hint, hint).

PS: is this the same car?

Sharp eye, there, @ayilar, it is the same car. I thought it would have easily gone for the $20k asking - I didn't even know about it being for sale until September of 2015. Much to my surprise, I bought it in October of 2015 for $17k. BTW, the thread you remembered dates from January of 2015, which is five pages long and somehow evolved into a real estate discussion! LOL

Thanks for confirming and providing more history about the car. It seems to be a _very_ nice one, apparently one of the few original ones left! We’ve seen quite a few ‘69 ragtops pop up in bad shape, but extremely few like yours. You’ve got something special, I’d keep it that way :)

Would you be so kind as to post more photos of your car? The ones in that old thread have disappeared.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming and providing more history about the car. It seems to be a _very_ nice one, apparently one of the few original ones left! We’ve seen quite a few ‘69 ragtops pop up in bad shape, but extremely few like yours. You’ve got something special, I’d keep it that way :)

Would you be so kind as to post more photos of your car? The ones in that old thread have disappeared.

Am looking forward to putting up more photos of the car after if stops raining out here (!) and after I get the stripes off. I really can't stand to look at them anymore. (I know, all it takes is a hair dryer and the 3M stuff, it's just one of those things to do when spring finally gets here.)

If you mainly want a nice cruiser, the 383 offers reasonable fuel mileage. You are going to be lucky to get 9 mpg with a 440 build, something to consider if you plan to drive the car a lot, probably also looking at premium fuel.

Dave
Bingo!! That is the main motivation for me wanting a 383. People say I won't like the lack of torque; I think I can live with it.

I'm down near Walnut Creek. You're living in God's Country up there compared to the Bay Area.

Anyway, the suggestion (above) about pickling the 383 (with its numbers) might be the way to go. However, your wanting to downsize to a 383 is an interesting proposition.
Can you share with the group what your thinking has been and why you want to go that direction? Maybe you're on to something that will make having a 383 a good idea...
See my previous response. Gas mileage is it in a nutshell. I got 18 MPG in my '62 New Yorker. My parents averaged 17 with their 383 HP '65 Newport. The best I have ever seen in my '70 was 15, and the average on the highway is 12. Around town I am lucky to get 140 miles on a full tank of gas. That sucks!

You’ll still drive it 55 mph on the highway
OK, now here is something that just cracks me up. I go to a car show, and on the way home, while driving 70-75 as the car was designed to do, I'm passing up all the guys driving 55. What's up with that?? Do people actually think their car will be hurt by driving faster?

I was driving a Buddy's '69 GTX. It was a 4-speed car with a built 440 that had a 6-pac added. (The thing had 13-1 pistons!!!) I hammered it on a straight and opened up all 6 barrels; he starts having a cow! I asked what the problem was and he says, "Easy man, this is an old car!!" I said, "Yes, and with those pistons in that motor it was built to do what I just did! Old car or not, if it breaks, we can fix it. But, I gotta tell you, it isn't going to break doing what it was designed to do."

Come on people, hit the gas!

I did change out the 383 for a 440HP in the 670 newport. I had the 440 and both the 383 and 440 need a rebuild. The decisions was easy. The 440 came from my parts car so everything was there except for the AC bracket and i sourced that from ebay. The newport had drums the were weak so it got the disc brake upgrade a week before the motor swap.

The motor swap is a easy change out that can be reversed. But you will need all the parts/brackets/intake manifold/etc.

440.jpg

Last edited:
I have to admit, following this thread I remember after my 440 swap when everything was just right, I had a girlfriend who made fun of my love of cars and particularly my Monaco. Pulling out left from a light, punching it, slamming second, busting the tires loose and throwing her up against the passenger door when I straightened out ... that was worth the price of the swap right there.

Letting my Chevy guy dad drive it after calling it a grandpa car ran a close second in retribution currency. I still miss that damned thing.

I hated my 383-2 L code, it was a dog. My 383-4 is a great runner, both with 323s.

There is also the added torque of a big engine in a 'vert. The body is nowhere near as rigid and they have a lot of body twist. I had a '70 Challenger R/T 'vert back in the day and with the stock 383 Magnum, I couldn't keep the rear top edge of the door from hitting the quarter panel due to body flex. I'm for keeping the stock 383 as I think it's a better deal (hp to $ in fuel consumption) for the street.

I got over 16 in my New Yorker driving from West Palm Beach to Iowa in '87 with a 440. This was just after the speed limit went back to 65. Gas was $0.87/gal at the time. The good old days...

Back